1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

95 Dakota Flickering Headlights!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 05:51 PM
Kumbersum
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 Dakota Flickering Headlights!!!

I've only had this 95 Dakota 318 for about 3 or 4 months now and it is my first truck. I'm fairly savvy at working on vehicles but this has me stumped. When i first bought it i drove it for a while but nvr at night. The first time i drove it at night the headlights flickered. Figured it was just a faulty switch so i replaced it and its seemed to do fine but i nvr ran the lights for a good period of time. Ive noticed they stay on steady for approx 30 mins then they start to flicker. When i replaced the switch the positive wire to the headlight looked like it was getting hot ie: melted plastic on the mire and somewhat melted wiring harness. So I'm guessing that the positive wire gets hot and causes it to short out or something but I'm not sure about how to go about fixing this. Really could use some help bc headlights are fairly NECESSARY! Thank you in advance for taking the time to help

Old 06-07-2013, 09:42 PM
Brian in Tucson
All Star

Check your body grounds. Resistance=heat.

Old 06-10-2013, 08:37 PM
bran1har
Rookie

There are wiring diagrams you can follow in the FAQ section. But as Brian said, look for bad grounds as well as corroded connectors or damaged wires. The diagrams should say what color wires to follow so you can trace that circut, they can however be a bit confusing.

Old 07-02-2013, 10:55 PM
bandit95

I am having the same issue, it seems like hitting a bump starts it flashing

Old 07-03-2013, 11:49 AM
MacDak
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same here on my '93, but now, headlights won't come on at all. Started intermittently, then, none. I just checked all the ground wires I could find, took off the thingamabob that comes through firewall with big plug on it, all wires there good. Next step is take switch out. Hey boys, we've got to get this one fixed, and that, soon! In my states, it's illegal to drive in rain without headlights on.

Quick Reply: 95 Dakota Flickering Headlights!!!