1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Bent as hell inner tie rod; easy to replace?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 05:16 PM
potatobug66
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bent as hell inner tie rod; easy to replace?

So the other day I put my poor little Dakota in a ditch because I can't drive for hell. For the second time, I had to have a big ol Ford pull me out. Blew a tire, ripped off a mud flap. At the time I thought that was the extent of my damage. However, the truck was pulling to the left, so I took it upon myself to check things out a little better. After further examination, I discovered that the inner tie rod on the driver's side is pretty bent.

It's my understanding that it isn't that hard of a part for someone with just a little bit of experience to replace, but all of the info I'm finding has been pretty generic. What's the basic process for replacing this? I'm aware that I'll most certainly have to take the thing in for an alignment, but any bit I can do myself saves a little cash.

Old 07-20-2013, 09:36 PM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2wd or 4wd?

just replace the inner and outer at teh same time. it makes it easier and the inner is gonna be the hardest part(2wd) but when i did mine for the first time it took me about a half hour to get them off and install the new ones. try to match teh threads from the old on to the new one to get as close as possible.

Old 07-21-2013, 01:55 PM
Brian in Tucson
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got a tierod end puller at Autozone--$10. AZ or O'Reilly's will both loan (lend?) the tool to you for a deposit. I liked the tool so much I kept it for my "useless" tool box.

Anyhow, the puller made it a piece of cake. Energy Suspension makes replacement tierod end boots, too, for when you rip the old rubber ones to shreds. If memory serves me, about $5 a pair. I have a 4wd, so I replaced all 4. Shiny, nice black urethane! Plus I was able to use brake cleaner to clean the slimy, black old grease out and replace if with pretty red grease!

Quick Reply: Bent as hell inner tie rod; easy to replace?