1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Dieing issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 07:06 PM
village idiot
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dieing issues

I'll be as brief as possible. 89 4x4 5 speed idles for 15-30 seconds and sputters then dies. As it sputters, it loses spark as seen with timing light. Pull a plug, they are dry. Where do I go next? Can't tell if its fuel starved or electrical. Replaced coil, coil wire, cap and rotor, no change. Any advice would be helpful.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:42 PM
vhinze
Rookie

See the FAQ. Pay particular attention to the section on "The Splice". Address the issues that apply to your situation. Post back here for followup if you don't resolve your problem.
Also let us know if the FAQ steers you to the resolution, best of luck (its not really a matter of luck).

Old 08-01-2013, 07:21 AM
village idiot

I'm lost. I searched stalls, dies, and a few others and no terms could be found.

Old 08-04-2013, 12:58 AM
vhinze
Rookie

Okay, put a fuel pressure gauge on it and see if the pressure drops off as it dies. If so, I'd suspect the fuel filter or pump. In my last post, I steered you to the FAQ, one of the stickys at the start of the 1st Gen Forum, read it and tell us if you've done whats suggested to eliminate the possibility of it being "the Splice". There is some more real good guidance there as well. Frankly, your last post leaves me wondering if you have any idea what I'm referring to.

Last edited by vhinze; 08-04-2013 at 01:04 AM.
Old 08-04-2013, 07:17 AM
village idiot
Default just living up to my title

Thanks a lot, took me right to it. Mine being an 89, is the splice still a possible issue?

Old 08-04-2013, 04:39 PM
vhinze
Rookie

Took you right to what? Please elaborate.

To the best of my knowledge, the "Splice" is still an issue on the '89s. Like it says in the FAQ, one red/white wire branching into three red/white wires. Doesn't seem to be what's going on with you right now, since you still seem to have spark and injectors. The splice usually kills the pump, injectors and coil.
If you have never had the wire loom open under the PDC, you have no idea when or if the issue will arise. I'd do it at my convenience, not the trucks'. The truck will pick a dark and stormy night to have you do it.

Quick Reply: Dieing issues