1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Temperature Gauge reading incorrect

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 10:55 PM
Rabid21
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Temperature Gauge reading incorrect

Honestly I'm at a loss here.
I know with the 5.2L V8 Temp gauge the normal reading is at about 1/3 of the gauge with the 195 Thermostat. For the past month plus my trucks been reading at half and 3/4. So first thing I did was I took a proper temp reading and found the truck was indeed running hot so after some trouble shooting a and a new thermostat for kicks. I replaced the radiator and fan clutch(For good measure). Now the truck still reads at 1/2 or above on the gauge but when I use an infrared reader on it I've got proper temperatures. I'll be taking another reading tomorrow morning just for the sake of it.

So I replaced the Temperature Gauge sensor since it was a cheap part hoping it would fix my gauge. Sadly it did not and I'm still reading hot.

I'm a bit of a loss at what it might be aside from an internal electrical issue somewhere in the truck. Even though I've recently become a technician myself I don't have a very good grasp of electrical yet so my current plan is just to put in a master gauge and ignore my stock one altogether.

Although if anyone has any ideas on a good place to look for what might be causing my gauge to read high while the truck is running at normal temps would be great.
Thanks, heres a picture of my truck at a recent 4x4ing event I went to for Breast cancer research!

Old 07-31-2013, 11:05 PM
tbugden
All Star
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm no real help, my temp gauge doesn't work 95% of the time, and when it "works", it jumps all over the place. I haven't investigated it yet but I probably should.

Also, nice truck, and a cool cause for a 4x4 event!

Old 07-31-2013, 11:10 PM
Rabid21
Veteran

Yea the event was a blast!
And believe it or not my Dak kept up with the lifted Jeepers pretty well. Didn't get stuck once!

Another picture for good measure

Old 08-05-2013, 01:38 PM
Rabid21
Veteran

Well this was helpful

Anyways I got the New gauge wired and installed earlier this week. Works like a charm and the trucks reading exactly where I knew it was. Still need to wire in the light for the gauge that works with my dimmer. But I'll do that another day for now its readable.

Quick Reply: Temperature Gauge reading incorrect