1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Should I buy this 94 Dakota Sport??

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 12:48 PM
cgwhitter
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I buy this 94 Dakota Sport??

I found a guy in town who's parting ways with a truck (94 Dodge Dakota Sport 3.9 V6 - 206,000miles) that was given to him a year ago. He's broke as heck and has no job. The ECM has gone out on the truck (shorted for some reason) and he'll literally take anything I give him for the vehicle. My friend (amateur mechanic) took a good look at the vehicle and said it was in pretty good shape. It spins but doesnt crank/fire. Obviously cuz the ECM doesnt work. The oil looks good, tranny fluid is pretty pink and the brakes are stiff. Tires in great shape and the body is solid. I purchased the part from O'Reily's for 150 bux as I planned to give the guy 200bux "as is" for his truck and get my buddy to install the new programmed ECM.

I'm only buying an older truck to drive it to and from the lakes and rivers in Tallahassee. 30 miles tops/2x a month. Im towing a 14ft Aluminum Jon with a lightweight Magic Tilt trailer.

My questions are:

Should I risk buying the truck without knowing what caused the ECM to short?
-Mayb whatever shorted that ECM could have also damaged other computer components

I hear Dodge Trucks aint worth a cowpie and that I should stay far away from them, especially around 94-97. Frequent problems with the fuel pump and transmission. Whats your opinion on the quality of these vehicles?

Should I go for it or just wait around and see if I can find anything else?

Your answers are greatly, greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Crazy4x4RT; 08-02-2013 at 10:41 PM. Reason: Deleted URL link
Old 08-02-2013, 10:41 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I will move this to the 1st generation Dakota sub-forum.

Old 08-09-2013, 05:41 PM
bran1har
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buy it. For $200 you cant go wrong. If all **** hits the fan you can call a salvage yard and they will come and pick the truck up and hand you $300. That is what any salvage yard will pay you for it, and dont tell the guy you are buying it from that. I have a 96 dakota, best truck ever, parts are very cheap and I just like the truck. It rides very nice. Just put a set of new shocks if it needs it and maybe some steering components and it will be brand new.

Quick Reply: Should I buy this 94 Dakota Sport??