1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

88 dakota 3.9 v6 auto bogging problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 06:08 PM
dodge88dakota
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 88 dakota 3.9 v6 auto bogging problem

hi guys, my 1988 dakota has a big problem.. it will idle fine but as soon as it has more than half throttle it will bog down to the point of almost cutting off and then jump up to about half throttle then bog back down again. it does that repeatedly. even cuts off sometimes when i sstop. seemed like messing with the distributer cap helped. but wont solve the issue. the TPS is what ive been told.. i do know that if i unplug the TPS, it makes absolutely no difference. does that mean anything?? its seems like it runs better when its cold. after it drives, the throttle only becomes effective at about 30% throttle and i cant go past 20mph. cut if off for five minutes, and it will go back up to half throttle. im stumped.. it ran fine a few days ago. any help would be great.

Old 08-04-2013, 05:56 PM
vhinze
Rookie

Check for any codes? Running better cold is typical, means the settings in memory work better than when the computer switches to reading sensor feedback. A sensor is feeding the computer hockey-puck.

Last edited by vhinze; 08-04-2013 at 05:58 PM.
Old 08-06-2013, 04:01 PM
fishlessman
Professional

my 89 had something similar, idled well but bogged and hesitated when driving. this was a stupid problem, oring in the vent line going back to the tank in the tank needed replacing. find the vent line up front on the throttle body, disconnect it, blow into it and have someone listen to the tank for bubbles, if you hear bubbles the vent is leaking in the tank, it should hold some pressure

Quick Reply: 88 dakota 3.9 v6 auto bogging problem