1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Engine stalling when going into reverse

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 05:48 AM
Lirra
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine stalling when going into reverse

Hi, I've just had my '88 Dakota 3.9 4wd with a 3 speed auto up and running again(rebuilt engine, new torque converter).

I'm having problems with the engine stalling when I put it into reverse. Sometimes it stalls right away, sometimes the RPM's drop and it will barely run in reverse(like it's meeting resistance) and then sometimes it stalls right away.

It has a new torque converter fitted, and the transmission oil doesn't have many miles on it. I'm still thinking about dropping the oil pan though, because I did not change the filter when I did the oil change last time.

I never experienced this problem before I had the engine rebuilt and the torque converter replaced.

What may be the source of my problems?

If I need to replace the transmission, is there a 4 speed automatic transmission that will be a direct replacement?

Thanks,
Ole

Old 08-14-2013, 06:41 PM
ragged89
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So it only stalls (or drops significant RPM) when you put it into reverse, not drive? As far as the engine (or ECM) is concerned, the only obvious difference between going into drive vs going into reverse would be a couple of electrical switch signals - reverse lights and neutral safety switch (on an automatic I think the two are combined). But the neutral safety only prevents starting and can't kill the engine, so you can pretty much rule out the engine/electrical side of things for now.

The transmission work that was done may have something to do with it. Why was the torque convertor replaced and was it replaced with a new or used one? I'm no expert on automatics but I know that they're much more sensitive than manuals. If the new TC held old fluid it could have contaminated the tranny, possibly gunking up something in the valve body. Likewise if the valve body or other parts were removed, a spring, screw, or some odd piece could have been left out or re-installed incorrectly. If you paid someone to do the work, you might have them check it over. If you did it, remove the pan and check for gunk in the filter.

Old 08-26-2013, 04:36 AM
Lirra
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The torque converter fitted was new.

The transmission now also slips and has problems shifting, so I will take it down and have it rebuilt. I'll let you know how it goes.

Quick Reply: Engine stalling when going into reverse