1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Engine will not die

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 05:14 PM
JacobSharp
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine will not die

Ok, I have a 1993 Dodge Dakota 5.2L that recently had no check engine, no spark, and no fuel. It turned out to be a broken solder on the red wires before the relay block where one red goes into three. There wasn't enough left to patch it, so I cut the ends and connected them with a new wire, and that fixed it. Now, the engine stays running after I turn the ignition off, I had to disconnect the coil pack to kill the engine. I did research on it and could not find anything about this issue. Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do to fix this? I would be ok with it, but this is my uncle's truck that I am fixing for him and I want it to be right. Thanks in advance!

Old 08-15-2013, 05:46 PM
cd36
Professional

Just so we are clear, it stays running and is running normally right?

It isn't a matter of it self-igniting and dieseling on you, where you shut off the engine and it just chugs away on its own for a while, but at a much, much lower RPM than idle (and much rougher)?

Old 08-16-2013, 09:40 PM
JacobSharp

It runs fine, I forgot to remove this, I had bypasses the ASD relay, and it works normal when the ASD relay is out of it, I connected an extra wire that wasn't connected, I just havent gotten around to finding out which one

Quick Reply: Engine will not die