1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Getting clear parking lights have a few Q's

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 12:33 AM
daksnbeers
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting clear parking lights have a few Q's

So last night I ordered a set of clear parking lights to replace my oem amber ones. They also come with some amber bulbs however in the state of florida the law on parking lights/ turn signals states that on the front of the vehicle can be white, amber or in between the two but nothing close to blue. So white it is.

My question is awhile ago when taking off my grill and the bezels that house the parking lights I let the bezel kind of hang from the wires that hold the signal. When I put it all back together and checked my lights my passenger side parking light did not work when I pulled the headlight switch back in either just parking light or full head lights. However it did work when I applied the signal or emergency lights so at that point in time I didn't put much thought into it as it's still legal.

So being that it works with the signal/emergency light applied why does it not work with the headlights/parking lights. the bulb is obviously good. Did I possibly mess up a wire or ground? (the side marker bulb still works)

again all will be legal but if i'm putting 50$ into an aesthetic for my truck I'd like to have the whole deal with it lol.

Old 08-23-2013, 12:48 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I would suggest just to remove the bezels again and inspect the wiring.

Old 08-23-2013, 01:00 AM
daksnbeers
Professional

Will do when I get the new lights in. Just wasn't sure if they have different ground for the parking lights or signal, Something had to of come lose.

Old 08-23-2013, 01:32 AM
PublicHair
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How are you getting white? LEDs or incandescent?

You'll need load resistors if led. And I wouldn't count the light output being perfect

Old 08-23-2013, 01:40 AM
daksnbeers
Professional

Well I guess I didn't mean white exactly lol. But a clear bulb that I can just plug in. If i'm correct our clear reverse bulbs should be able to plug into our parking lights. So I will end up with a sort of in between. I just do not want straight up amber bulbs.

Old 08-23-2013, 03:27 PM
moe7404
Record Breaker

i remember when cars started using amber lens. i think it was 1963. my uncle had just bought a new 63 plymouth, i thought it was great that my uncle had a car like the chrysler drag racer cars. he ordered a 361 engine, he said that a big man could carry a load easier than a small man. and people started making amber bulbs to put in the old lens.

Quick Reply: Getting clear parking lights have a few Q's