1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

shredded tire off of rim

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 09:42 PM
daksnbeers
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shredded tire off of rim

So I was driving my dads truck which had some pretty bad tires on it. Didn't think a 2 mile drive maxing at 45 mph would kill a tire though. Anyway one of them shredded on me so I threw his spare on and got it home. Trying to get the shredded tire of the wheel by using a bottle jack under a hitch placing the bottom of it on the side wall didn't work. So being buzzed and then pissed I proceeded to try and cut all around the side wall with a sawzall leaving some of it on inside the bead. Which now I can't seem to pry out with a screw driver. So with that being said would it hurt the wheel to use a torch to heat up rubber and then try to pry it off? It's an aluminum alloy wheel not painted.

Shouldn't of cut it apart and took it to a wheel shop but can't afford new tires for his truck for a few months.

Old 09-03-2013, 07:31 AM
robertmee
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would be very careful using a torch....A torch's flame can reach 3x the melting point temperature of aluminum.

Quick Reply: shredded tire off of rim