1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

94 dakota transmission leak by transfer case

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 07:49 PM
1994dakota
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 94 dakota transmission leak by transfer case

Hey guys, I'm new here. I'm 19 with my first Dakota and I've got a problem and not a lot of cash...... like the title says I have a 94 Dakota slt with a 5.2. Right Where the tranny and the tc bolts together there is a small maybe 1/8 in hole. It leaks atf every time I try to add it. Anything above low on the dip stick leaks out. And if I pull up on a hill Where the front is higher than the rear it leaks. It's not Good I've had the tranny slip on me because of it. Wht is the matter with it???

Old 09-15-2013, 07:10 PM
Brian in Tucson
All Star

My understanding is that they didn't use a gasket inbetween the transfer case and the back of the trannie. And that if you can remove the bolts and crack them apart, you and clean it up and use automotive RTV silicone to seal them back together. Don't go overboard, use just a thin smear of silicone.

Don't take it as gospel, but that's what I've read somewhere.

Btw, mine's leaking there too.

Old 09-18-2013, 06:08 PM
1994dakota

Originally Posted by Brian in Tucson
My understanding is that they didn't use a gasket inbetween the transfer case and the back of the trannie. And that if you can remove the bolts and crack them apart, you and clean it up and use automotive RTV silicone to seal them back together. Don't go overboard, use just a thin smear of silicone.

Don't take it as gospel, but that's what I've read somewhere.

Btw, mine's leaking there too.
I did it and it worked. U have to fill the drain slot but it stopped leaking. It's not right but it's fixed!

Old 09-19-2013, 10:35 AM
Brian in Tucson
All Star

Originally Posted by 1994dakota
I did it and it worked. U have to fill the drain slot but it stopped leaking. It's not right but it's fixed!

Excellent!

Quick Reply: 94 dakota transmission leak by transfer case