1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

94 Fuel pump issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 02:17 PM
mtbmark
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 Fuel pump issues

I put a new fuel pump in and have issues with restart. Old pump had what I'll call a pressure bulb on top of it that the output connected to. New one, same manufacturer and their replacement for original, has connections for supply and return, no pressure bulb.

On start, I need to turn the key on for a few seconds to let the fuel get to the rail.
Otherwise, you get to crank some before the start.

Anyone else have this problem with a replacement pump. Thinking some sort of check valve is missing in the supply.

Another interesting one is the pump seems to search for fuel when the tank gets to 1/3 area. Thought something was wrong with the installation, so I took the tank back out and looked. All fine. Pump sets on the bottom, pick up fine. That made me growl.
Suggestions?

Old 09-26-2013, 03:39 PM
onemore94dak
Champion
Received 134 Likes on 126 Posts

You should look in the FAQ at the top of the forum. Maybe a picture of the differences in the pumps would help as all the ones I have seen online are the same. Your problem might be the wiring is loose. There is a lot of stuff on this site about these fuel pumps and it seems the only bad mark against these 94 Dak's in reviews is the battery power wire to the fuel pump.

Old 09-27-2013, 02:12 PM
mtbmark

Thanks on the troubleshoot. I'll try that and report back for others to review.

Old 09-28-2013, 12:49 AM
AZ 360 Dakota
Veteran

Originally Posted by mtbmark
I put a new fuel pump in and have issues with restart. Old pump had what I'll call a pressure bulb on top of it that the output connected to. New one, same manufacturer and their replacement for original, has connections for supply and return, no pressure bulb.

On start, I need to turn the key on for a few seconds to let the fuel get to the rail.
Otherwise, you get to crank some before the start.

Anyone else have this problem with a replacement pump. Thinking some sort of check valve is missing in the supply.

Another interesting one is the pump seems to search for fuel when the tank gets to 1/3 area. Thought something was wrong with the installation, so I took the tank back out and looked. All fine. Pump sets on the bottom, pick up fine. That made me growl.
Suggestions?
It sounds like you got a pump for a '92-'93 Dakota. In '92-'93 the fuel system was a return type system. In '94 Chrysler switched to a returnless type system. That bulb on the top that you are referring to is a fuel pressure regulator/fuel filter. If the pump you installed had a port for "return", what did you do with that port? I converted my returnless system to return and have pictures here: https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...-360-swap.html describing both. I think you installed the wrong pump.

Quick Reply: 94 Fuel pump issues