1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

1993 Dakota Won't start in the morning.

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 11:06 AM
Rapid Roy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1993 Dakota Won't start in the morning.

My 1993 Dodge Dakota Sport with a 3.9 liter Magnum will not start in the morning. I think it has something to do with the fuel system plus perhaps some electrical. I have a brand new fuel pump, second pump since march. I traded the one out I bought in March because I thought the issue was solely the fuel pump. Here is what happens when I try to start it first thing in the morning. Nothing but crank, crank, crank. If I wait until noon when the sun has warmed up, I turn on the key and I can hear the fuel pump run. It runs for about 30-40 seconds and then stops. Then the truck will start, but not until the fuel pump has stopped running. When I try this in the morning I do not hear the fuel pump take off like this, only after it has warmed up outdoors. I am truly perplexed.

Old 10-10-2013, 08:59 AM
dobaroy
Veteran

Rapid Roy, Your problem sounds similar to a problem we have been battling with on our 92 5.2 Dak for a long time now. There is a post from cdpalmerjr which started on Sept. 22nd, you might find helpful, he did a lot of troubleshooting. As a matter of fact we tried using a hair dryer this morning (its just above freezing) and the Dak started up in about 5 minutes. Good Luck

Old 10-11-2013, 06:51 AM
Rapid Roy

Originally Posted by dobaroy
Rapid Roy, Your problem sounds similar to a problem we have been battling with on our 92 5.2 Dak for a long time now. There is a post from cdpalmerjr which started on Sept. 22nd, you might find helpful, he did a lot of troubleshooting. As a matter of fact we tried using a hair dryer this morning (its just above freezing) and the Dak started up in about 5 minutes. Good Luck
Thanks, I'll look into it.

Old 10-11-2013, 11:24 AM
Rapid Roy
Default It worked.

Hey just tried the hairdryer trick on the ECM and it was about 2 minutes and I could hear the fuel pump kick in and the truck started right up. Thanks for the tip dobaroy. Now to get a new ECM.

Old 10-11-2013, 11:39 AM
robertmee
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool trick and one to remember

Old 10-12-2013, 08:15 AM
Rapid Roy

Cool trick for a hot fix...LOL

Quick Reply: 1993 Dakota Won't start in the morning.