1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Planning on swapping in a 5.2L to my 91 dak

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 10:27 AM
Hav0k
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Planning on swapping in a 5.2L to my 91 dak

I came into possession of a 2WD transmission and a 318 from a 1996 dodge ram (thats what I was told) for only 100$

Now, I'm, thinking the transmission may not work for me because I have 4WD, and I'm not even sure if the trans is good. I was told the motor was good, but probably needed a valve job on 1 side. So my question to you guys is, is it possible to use a motor from a 1996 dodge ram, and can I still use the EFI system.

If I can still run EFI, do I need the wiring harness from the RAM, or will a wiring harness from a 96 dakota work for this motor? My truck is OBD1, how hard would it be to convert to OBD2? If I can't use EFI, how hard is it to put a carb on this motor, and is it even worth it?

I have a feeling I picked up too new of a motor, but I guess I could always try and resell it and make a little extra if I have to. My plan was to take off the heads and check all of the cylinders and pistons to make sure nothing was fried. And, being as I don't have a vast amount of knowledge for an engine rebuild, do you think it's pretty easy to do a refresh kit on this motor? The motor is mostly there, minus a few things such as, throttle body, wiring harness, injectors, and probably a few other things I overlooked.

Truck: 1991 Dakota SE 4x4, 3.9L V6

Last edited by Hav0k; 10-11-2013 at 10:44 AM.
Old 10-11-2013, 11:01 AM
robertmee
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're truck while EFI, is TBI (throttle body injected). The 96 Ram will be MPI. You can do the swap but you'd have to use the harness, all sensors, PCM, etc. I believe you'd have to change the fuel system to a returnless style also.

You could find a PCM/intake setup for a TBI V8 (shelby dakota's I believe) and stay TBI, but you're still looking at PCM/harness change.

You could go carburetor and remove the PCM altogether, but it depends on what your use of the truck will be. If daily driver use, I'd try to stay with EFI.

An 'easier' swap would be to get the harness/sensors/PCM from a 93-95 Daktoa/Ram and at least stay MPI/ODBI. But then you may have transmission issues, because the 96 may be an RE with ODBII, and you'd need an RH for ODBI or non PCM controlled.

If it were me, I'd sell what you have and keep looking for a 93-95 V8 setup with ODBI if you want to go MPI. If you want to stay TBI, look for a 89-90 shelby dakota setup.

Me, I'm doing the swap with a crate Magnum V8. I bought a 95 Dakota 5.2 for all the harness/PCM/intake/fuel system, but in the end may go PCMless with carburetor because I've decided to build a more strip truck than street.

Old 10-11-2013, 11:08 AM
Hav0k

Well, the truck is my work truck / driver, and I do a lot of highway sometimes pulling a trailer, so I was thinking carb would destroy my fuel economy. I tried to do as much research as I could pertaining to the right engines to get, but it's kind of limited. So thanks for the response. I suppose I'll keep looking and try and resell what I have.

Old 10-11-2013, 11:37 AM
robertmee
Record Breaker

I'm new to Dakota's myself, so don't take my word as Gospel. But if you search my name, you'll see a couple of threads where I asked the very same questions you have, and the responses I received. That might help you get a clearer picture of options.

Old 10-11-2013, 01:30 PM
92DakotaClub
Veteran

actually just for reference . 92 5.2 magnum .. MPFI ... manufactured march of 92( door says anyway on my truck) which I also believe was first year of the MPFI magnum

Old 10-11-2013, 03:39 PM
cd36
Professional

You can use that motor as long as you get all the correct supporting hardware such as wiring harness, pcm, fuel rail, etc. You may need to swap some sensors or change some electrical connectors on the harness, just as they may have different connectors on them, but the engine will work in your 91.

What engine do you have in there right now?

Old 10-11-2013, 06:23 PM
Brian in Tucson
All Star

Originally Posted by Hav0k

Truck: 1991 Dakota SE 4x4, 3.9L V6
I have a '96, Automatic, 5.2, V8 & Club Cab. Kinda everything you're salivating for. No it's not for sale.

$100 for a 5.2 (needs a valve job) and a 46RE transmission, not bad!

Putting it in your 91 won't be a nightmare, but it won't be easy and you need to buy a bunch of other stuff to make it work--injectors, a throttle body, a pcm, & a wiring harness won't be cheap. And you're gonna have to make sure the engine is in good nick before you shoehorn it in. Probably you'll need a set of engine mounts, too.

I wouldn't do it.

I'd get the 91 all dolled up and sell it for the best price I could. Then I'd look for a 96 V8, club cab, 4wd, that needed an engine or trannie. Should be rust free (you don't say where you live.) And Cheap! You could even get a 97 or 98, and maybe a 99. You want the early OBD2, which your $100 motor & trannie would slip into like it was coated in Wesson oil.

BTW, your 2wd 46RH will accept the transfer case of any of the above--just unbolt the tail housing and transfer it over (at least that's what I've been told.)

I like my OBD2 Dakota. It's pretty easy to figure out when it's not right (not a whole lot of sensors to mess with.) It plugs right into the smog station's computer--and here in Tucson gets a 2 year cert. And I have this really cool dongel that plugs into the data port and sends codes and other stuff to my smart phone (and works really well.) The transfer case works flawlessly, and isn't overly electronic-ified.

And even with 4wd, it gets about 20 mpg on trips.

Old 10-14-2013, 10:55 AM
Hav0k

Originally Posted by Brian in Tucson
I have a '96, Automatic, 5.2, V8 & Club Cab. Kinda everything you're salivating for. No it's not for sale.

$100 for a 5.2 (needs a valve job) and a 46RE transmission, not bad!

Putting it in your 91 won't be a nightmare, but it won't be easy and you need to buy a bunch of other stuff to make it work--injectors, a throttle body, a pcm, & a wiring harness won't be cheap. And you're gonna have to make sure the engine is in good nick before you shoehorn it in. Probably you'll need a set of engine mounts, too.

I wouldn't do it.

I'd get the 91 all dolled up and sell it for the best price I could. Then I'd look for a 96 V8, club cab, 4wd, that needed an engine or trannie. Should be rust free (you don't say where you live.) And Cheap! You could even get a 97 or 98, and maybe a 99. You want the early OBD2, which your $100 motor & trannie would slip into like it was coated in Wesson oil.

BTW, your 2wd 46RH will accept the transfer case of any of the above--just unbolt the tail housing and transfer it over (at least that's what I've been told.)

I like my OBD2 Dakota. It's pretty easy to figure out when it's not right (not a whole lot of sensors to mess with.) It plugs right into the smog station's computer--and here in Tucson gets a 2 year cert. And I have this really cool dongel that plugs into the data port and sends codes and other stuff to my smart phone (and works really well.) The transfer case works flawlessly, and isn't overly electronic-ified.

And even with 4wd, it gets about 20 mpg on trips.
I actually got this truck from my grandpa when he passed away, it only had 72k miles on it, and I've had it for around 11 years now.. the v6 still runs strong at 145k, I was mainly planning to throw the motor in as an emergency only situation. I could sell the truck, but it's pretty nice not having any monthly payments to shell out for, and I'm able to save a little money.

My plan is to keep this truck running as long as I can until I can afford what I really want which is a dodge cummins, which would help me in my business, since I do a lot of hauling. Sadly it looks like I need to sell my motorcycle to get some money to put down on what I want so... We'll keep the old dodge kickin a bit longer. I live in florida, so the truck is fairly rust free. I don't take it bogging or anything silly like that, but I do run trails from time to time. I'll probably just flip this motor and trans and see what I can get.

Any idea what the tranny / motor would be worth missing the things mentioned? I haven't torn into the motor yet because I'd like to just sell it as is. think I could double my money?

Old 10-15-2013, 11:51 PM
rx7_dude2003
Professional

A v8 will bolt to your v6 tranny.. So if it's fine then leave it be. If need be I have a complete 5.2 magnum w harness n computer all complete I'm willing to sell outta my mud truck I'm outta Milwaukee Wisconsin

Quick Reply: Planning on swapping in a 5.2L to my 91 dak