1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

More no-start madness

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 03:30 PM
Vanster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More no-start madness

95 B2500 3.9
Basically I have replaced every sensor in the last 6 weeks.
Always turns over (and I hear the fuel pump and relays)
Always get 12v at the coil.
I do not always get signal at the coil.
Even when I do get signal, I have weak or no spark.
It will start in the morning and will run for awhile.
All wiring looks good and fully traced signal wire to ECM.
Grounds to ECM (black/pink wires) are good and check ok with test light.
During the last six weeks I replaced a crappy dizzy and it ran great for 2 weeks.

Any ideas? Does anyone know where the splice is, though it doesn't seem to be the problem?
Thanks.

Old 10-28-2013, 12:38 AM
RockGuardedDak
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Vanster
95 B2500 3.9
Basically I have replaced every sensor in the last 6 weeks.
Always turns over (and I hear the fuel pump and relays)
Always get 12v at the coil.
I do not always get signal at the coil.
Even when I do get signal, I have weak or no spark.
It will start in the morning and will run for awhile.
All wiring looks good and fully traced signal wire to ECM.
Grounds to ECM (black/pink wires) are good and check ok with test light.
During the last six weeks I replaced a crappy dizzy and it ran great for 2 weeks.

Any ideas? Does anyone know where the splice is, though it doesn't seem to be the problem?
Thanks.
If you take out the fuse box under the hood, you will see a cluster of wires meeting. Open up the tape and look for the three red wires spliced together. If they are broken, one or more, that is your problem. If you need more info on the notorious splice problem, look at the FAQ near the top of the 1st gen Dakota forum

Old 10-28-2013, 08:35 AM
Vanster

Where is the splice on a van? I have taken a good bit of the wiring apart and don't see it. Most of the wiring is dry and out of the way of road splatter and such.
Also, I am unclear about the symptoms of the splice problem. I always have power and can turn the engine over. What I don't always get is signal at the coil.

New info is that it has cranked every morning. I have been leaving it running, which seems to kill it for the whole day. Today I cranked it and turned it off so I could check it again later.

Old 10-28-2013, 06:10 PM
RockGuardedDak
All Star

Where is the splice on a van? I have taken a good bit of the wiring apart and don't see it. Most of the wiring is dry and out of the way of road splatter and such.
Also, I am unclear about the symptoms of the splice problem. I always have power and can turn the engine over. What I don't always get is signal at the coil.

New info is that it has cranked every morning. I have been leaving it running, which seems to kill it for the whole day. Today I cranked it and turned it off so I could check it again later.
Sorry man, my bad, didn't even notice the fact you weren't talking about a Dakota. Does the key dance trick work for pulling codes on that thing? By key dance I mean key on (not start), off, on, off, on and leave on. If it does, the check engine light will blink out the code in a sequence of flashes (eg. Flash pause flash flash pause flash flash pause flash would be code 12 and code 21). Other than that I am unsure. Most common sensors to change during a no start (low or no signal at coil) are your crankshaft sensor or the camshaft sensor. The camshaft sensor is inside the distributor and is also know as the distributor pick up plate or something to that effect. Try posting in the section specific to your vehicle. They may have more insight over there. I don't know too much about your van, the motor may be slightly different (doubt it but you never know), but will try to help with what I can until the mods move the thread

Last edited by RockGuardedDak; 10-28-2013 at 06:15 PM.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:26 AM
Vanster

Originally Posted by RockGuardedDak
Sorry man, my bad, didn't even notice the fact you weren't talking about a Dakota. Does the key dance trick work for pulling codes on that thing? By key dance I mean key on (not start), off, on, off, on and leave on. If it does, the check engine light will blink out the code in a sequence of flashes (eg. Flash pause flash flash pause flash flash pause flash would be code 12 and code 21). Other than that I am unsure. Most common sensors to change during a no start (low or no signal at coil) are your crankshaft sensor or the camshaft sensor. The camshaft sensor is inside the distributor and is also know as the distributor pick up plate or something to that effect. Try posting in the section specific to your vehicle. They may have more insight over there. I don't know too much about your van, the motor may be slightly different (doubt it but you never know), but will try to help with what I can until the mods move the thread
They're pretty much exactly the same except that some of the electrical is in different spots and some things that are a pain in a truck (crank sensor) are easy in a van and some that are easy in a truck (temp sensor) are a pain in a van.
Update: Yesterday I replaced the ECM with a Cardone rebuild from Autozone. So far it hasn't shut off.

Old 10-29-2013, 04:34 PM
RockGuardedDak
All Star

They're pretty much exactly the same except that some of the electrical is in different spots and some things that are a pain in a truck (crank sensor) are easy in a van and some that are easy in a truck (temp sensor) are a pain in a van.
Update: Yesterday I replaced the ECM with a Cardone rebuild from Autozone. So far it hasn't shut off.
Good to hear you may have fixed the problem. Always sucks when the computer goes out tho..

Old 10-31-2013, 10:21 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

I have a couple spare computers for mine... haven't needed one
I go junking occasionally just to pick up stuff like this, U pull price for a computer is usually $25-30

Old 11-01-2013, 06:34 AM
Vanster

Sadly. the closest one has been low on Daks and Vans and I missed getting one when they were falling off trees. I will pick up the first spare I see to guarantee I never need another one. 8P
As of right now, my main problems were the ECM, distributor and the brand new IAC that Autozone sold me. All three are replaced and it runs like new...
knock on what ya got...

Quick Reply: More no-start madness