1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

One Crazy Idea.

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 09:37 PM
daksnbeers
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default One Crazy Idea.

Alright so I came up with an idea I will more than likely never be able to go through with but the thought is still nice so I thought I'd share.

I've been going through youtube and google looking at different trucks/cars
and came across a 1995 f-150 that originally had the 4.9l inline six. The owner was a truck driver that rolled his rig and it was "totaled" by his insurance company due to frame damage I believe. Well his rig had a 14l cummins in it that was still mint. So the obvious thing to do here was drop the cummins backwards in the bed run a u-drive system off the trans like on jet boats and run all that power to the rear axel. Instantly intrigued by the idea of a mid engine drag truck I began to look into it more and found a s-10 body on a full size frame with a big block chevy motor I believe a 454 twin turboed and yes dropped in the bed.

So I wondered if there was such a thing as a mid engine first gen Dakota with a 440 magnum or 6bt in the bed. Not such a crazy idea someone has to have done it. Alas I could find nothing, so given the opportunity I would love to get a regular cab long bed pre 91 Dakota and put a 12v 6bt in the bed give it some steroids and go for some 10s. But this is just a dream would take a lot of time and money to achieve. So I hope some of you get a kick out of the idea.

thanks for reading.

Old 11-05-2013, 11:44 PM
92DakotaClub
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

man .... imagination.... paper.... welder ... nought said ...

if you can dream it... you can make it real* only thing I think I would do is find something like a fiero type rear drive (something like this anyway) cause I think the standard rear drive tranny would be to long ...

Old 11-07-2013, 12:50 AM
marcar1993
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Toronado trans axle. The older ones behind the big blocks were th425 transmissions based on the th400. Then all you'd need is an adapter plate.

Quick Reply: One Crazy Idea.