1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

When does it end? Water problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 10:59 AM
keilkravec
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When does it end? Water problems

Ok so, trip to the junkyard after getting rear-ended on ice for a new bumoer, also found the rare and elusive gas tank skid plate and brand new matching headliner and visors for my 93, fix those issues and when I thought i had my water issue fixed, BAM. heavy rain last night and 3 inches of water in my drivers floor.my door seals look fine and I even used a motorhome product to refresh robber seals and put oil back in them. Still have water out my ears here. Underneath it looks like I have a drain plug, is that an actual drain hole or just a cab piece? I'm at a loss here and really dont want to have to go hunting for new door seals. Anyone got ideas?

Old 02-03-2014, 03:48 PM
92DakotaClub
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have you checked under the windshield cowl (under wipers) to make sure the drain in there is not plugged up? otherwise it might be coming in from the ventilation system

Old 02-03-2014, 05:58 PM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker

Usually if there is a build up of leaves under the cowl is when the windshields leak. Ford pickups are known for this as well as others. And that plug under the carpet is a drain hole

Old 02-04-2014, 01:22 PM
keilkravec
Veteran

which side is the drain on? I cant seem to find it and there is little to no leaves down in there, however in the center under the dash theres a sponge thing on the heater box, and only the driver side bottom corner is wet with antifreeze. yet my foot vents are bone dry. Thoghts?
Name:  20140204_130519_zps717373fb.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  62.4 KB

Whats weirder still is the trans hump is completely dry, yet my floor is still soaked. I'm guessing I've just been hit by the perfect timing double hit of failing heater core and door seals leaking at once..so it seems thus far atleast.

Last edited by keilkravec; 02-04-2014 at 01:25 PM.
Old 02-04-2014, 02:05 PM
RobertMc
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah.. if it has antifreeze in it, it's likely the heater core.
That's a REAL PITA to replace.
Does your dak have AC ? If so, to get the heater box out, you will need to suck the freon from it.

I'll take a look at the cab on my 90 and see where the cowl drain is.

Old 02-04-2014, 02:20 PM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker

That wet spot in the pic points toward the heater core. If it was rainwater it would run behind the firewall

Old 02-04-2014, 09:37 PM
keilkravec
Veteran

thats where it gets odd. It was dry for a few days before it rained really hard, and I had some water the rain before that but not 3 inches deep like this time, and for the coolant its not trickling down when I'm driving from the heater box or when I'm sitting, just kind of slowly dripping it seems, the trans tunnel is dry and so are my foot vents, yet deep water in the center of the floor.
And RobertMC thanks any help figuring out how to look in there is greatly appreciated, I'm getting to wits end and I've hardly started here

Old 02-04-2014, 09:40 PM
keilkravec
Veteran

on a side note, is the A-500 auto trans in the 88'-89' models the same as my 93? need another trans to rebuild and curious if they are the same as thats all the junkyard has, and only 2 left at that >.>

Old 02-05-2014, 07:45 PM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker

A little weaker but basically the same thing

Old 02-05-2014, 10:55 PM
keilkravec
Veteran

more concerned about externally and wiring. It's going to be gutted and bench built just need to know if the case is the same and it will work with stock magnum wiring setup, looking at the whole plug-n-play deal

Quick Reply: When does it end? Water problems