1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Steering Play '93 Dakota 4wd

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2014 | 03:14 PM
cloomis555
|
Exclamation Steering Play '93 Dakota 4wd

So im buying a 93 Dakota sport 4x4 on Friday and the guy described a couple simple problems in the craigslist ad, from idler pulley noise to needing new brakes. Easy cheap fixes. However the one im trying to diagnose is he described the steering as "driving a boat". I went and test drove it and there was a lot of play and while driving it would go slightly left and right and having to make major adjustments to correct. I immediately thought steering gear box. Figured the gears were worn and ive seen friends of mine just tighten theres to remove play. I was wondering if anyone on here has ever tighten or replaced theres and if it was difficult. I have access to a lift and garage to work on it if need be but was wondering if this is an easy fix I could do in my garage or if I need to put it on a lift etc.
Thanks!

Old 02-11-2014 | 03:37 PM
92DakotaClub
Veteran

Originally Posted by cloomis555
So im buying a 93 Dakota sport 4x4 on Friday and the guy described a couple simple problems in the craigslist ad, from idler pulley noise to needing new brakes. Easy cheap fixes. However the one im trying to diagnose is he described the steering as "driving a boat". I went and test drove it and there was a lot of play and while driving it would go slightly left and right and having to make major adjustments to correct. I immediately thought steering gear box. Figured the gears were worn and ive seen friends of mine just tighten theres to remove play. I was wondering if anyone on here has ever tighten or replaced theres and if it was difficult. I have access to a lift and garage to work on it if need be but was wondering if this is an easy fix I could do in my garage or if I need to put it on a lift etc.
Thanks!

biggest question here is.. is there *slop* or play when sitting still and turned off, usually best way to tell if its steering box or steering shaft(my 2002 Dakota needed a new shaft and was pricy)

also does it do it on a smooth road or just on bumps/rough road

its aslo possible the front end is just warn out and has a lot of play

also if it has larger tires/lifted it can cause this I know im dealing with bump steering right now on my 92

Last edited by 92DakotaClub; 02-11-2014 at 03:41 PM.
Old 02-11-2014 | 03:54 PM
cloomis555
|

The T bars are cranked and it has 31 in tires. Nothing huge but bigger than stock. I know it needs ball joints cause I can hear the knock when turning but not sure if that would factor into the problem. Its a tad rough on road but the tires are bulky and have good tread and with the torsion bars being cranked it makes it a bit rougher road wise. The steering though isn't rough. Just "loose" feeling. I haven't been able to lift the front and try to see if the tires move when wiggled but I will this weekend when I get it. Either way I bought the truck for 550 running with a rebuilt tranny so im not worried bout putting a couple hundred bucks into it.

Old 02-11-2014 | 04:34 PM
92DakotaClub
Veteran

well balljoints aren't good if totally wrecked, if it never had an alignment after bars were cranked it can cause your issue aswell . I modified and cranked mine alignment was WAY out. got it done very close to were it should be, but on rough road my tires like to track, but on a smother flat new paved road the 33x14 tires are just loud LOL

remember balljoints , my 92 4x4 one is threaded in other is pressed so be cautious if you do this yourself.

Old 02-11-2014 | 08:45 PM
cloomis555
|

Ill definitely be looking on that thread to do it myself. This truck is just a toy and a good woods truck so im not gonna take it anywhere. Why be so cautious? Just tough to do? And the alignment probably does need to be done but ive never been one to get one. Even my 99 ram 2500 ive never gotten one after lift and tires etc. Probably needs one but I use them for woods and mud not a DD.

Old 02-11-2014 | 09:51 PM
92DakotaClub
Veteran

carefull due to fact ive seen people press out the threaded one's and destroy the control arm so...

Old 02-11-2014 | 10:01 PM
cloomis555
|

Oh I understand sorry haha. Yeah imam be careful with it

Quick Reply: Steering Play '93 Dakota 4wd