1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Oil pressure sensor 1991 3.9 Dakota?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 06:28 PM
Busseyte
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Oil pressure sensor 1991 3.9 Dakota?

Hey gang, When I bought my 1991 3.9l Dakota the previous owner had installed an aftermarket oil pressure gauge. I noticed it didnt work when I test drove the truck and it wasnt a concern. After lookin around and trouble shooting it a bit I noticed the sensing tube(plastic) was run to the location on the block where the factory sending unit sensor WAS. I can see the harness plug for the factory sensor just hangin beside the distributor. The plastic sensing line is screwed into hole the factory sensor is suppose to be in...is this correct? It all appears to be right. I noticed air in the line so I figured it needed to be bled before it would work correctly. I tried it with the truck running. I removed the line from the back of the gauge and nothing came out. There should of been oil spewing out right?? Also, if the factory sensor is now gone why dont I have an engine light code being thrown? Thanks.

Last edited by Busseyte; 02-25-2014 at 11:46 AM.
Old 02-17-2014, 05:40 AM
Busseyte
Amateur

No one? Anyone? Not a soul knows how to answer this? :/

Old 02-18-2014, 02:30 AM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It won't throw a code or throw an oil light. I put an aftermarket garage on my 93 and I had only seen a little oil in the line not enough to spew out but I do know (from experience) that wot oil will spew out of that line

Old 02-19-2014, 02:01 PM
Busseyte
Amateur

hmm.. i need to do further research I guess on it. No oil came out of the line when I unscrewed it from the back of the gauge. Im just wondering if the previous owner put in in the right spot. Shadowdakota, Did you put your gauge in the same spot as I described? ..(see original picture for reference) Thansk

Old 02-22-2014, 06:54 PM
Busseyte
Amateur
Thumbs up Problem Solved!

*It was a pinched line up behind the dash. ..if you could of seen the angles this 1/8" plastic tube made before it reached the gauge you would understand why it was kinked like this. MOron previous owner! I rerouted it and it works great. A compression fitting screwed into the top of the block where the factory oil pressure sensor ia suppose to be.. Im going to get a Tee eventually and purchase a factory sensor and reinstall it. The idiot light is convenient! lol but yea, then the plasticx line and a compression ring went down in the fitting and a compression nut was tightened down to make a tight seal. No leaks and it works like it should! Thanks everyone who replied to this post, I appriciate it!

Old 02-22-2014, 09:36 PM
moe7404
Record Breaker

do NOT i say NOT use plastic tube. i have seen so so so many break. i finally got to where i would ONLY use steel brake line tubing, for oil lines. copper is only a second best. hose is not great all so, but some times you have to use it. and NEVER NEVER use copper for trans cooler lines.. the factory uses steel for a reason.

Quick Reply: Oil pressure sensor 1991 3.9 Dakota?