1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

87-96 Dakota Cab Bolt Removal

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 01:13 PM
90dakotaconvertible
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 87-96 Dakota Cab Bolt Removal

Hello, to all I am wondering what is the best way to remove these bolts. My worst one is the one behind the driver's side front wheel and is rusty. All the other ones look in good shape but, I want to replace the cab bushings if I can. My main concern is breaking the captive nut inside the cab. Does anyone has any good suggestions for this type of job. I have been soaking all the bolts PB Blaster for a while now but, it seems stubborn. What is the easiest way to tackle this?

Also, if I do break the captive nut, can I cut an access hole in the cab and use a rubber drain plug maybe to plug the hole? I know some Chevrolet trucks have access a couple of the bolts in the cab in this fashion IIRC. TIA.

Old 03-24-2014, 06:29 PM
92DakotaClub
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 90dakotaconvertible
Hello, to all I am wondering what is the best way to remove these bolts. My worst one is the one behind the driver's side front wheel and is rusty. All the other ones look in good shape but, I want to replace the cab bushings if I can. My main concern is breaking the captive nut inside the cab. Does anyone has any good suggestions for this type of job. I have been soaking all the bolts PB Blaster for a while now but, it seems stubborn. What is the easiest way to tackle this?

Also, if I do break the captive nut, can I cut an access hole in the cab and use a rubber drain plug maybe to plug the hole? I know some Chevrolet trucks have access a couple of the bolts in the cab in this fashion IIRC. TIA.

if you look beside the bolt ther eis a small frame rail it goes into.. you can get a screw driver sometimes in there if the retainer around the nut bends... otherwise a cutting under the rug we go...

the nut wont break... its friggen solid worst is threads strip/retainer bends... happened on rad support on mine.

its a pain in the ****, but keep spraying till u cant spray no more...

Old 03-26-2014, 07:05 PM
90dakotaconvertible
Rookie

Thank you. I got that stubborn bolt. Now time to order the bushings and hopefully can get the other bolts without a huge problem.

Old 04-04-2014, 03:35 PM
RobertMc
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 90dakotaconvertible
Thank you. I got that stubborn bolt. Now time to order the bushings and hopefully can get the other bolts without a huge problem.
I ordered bolts from the dealer, yesterday. The had them in the warehouse in Minneapolis.

Which brand bushings did you buy ?

Old 06-02-2019, 11:55 AM
Burned Dakota
Default Removing the cab and front clip on a 96 dodge Dakota

What is the best way to take the cab and front clip off the frame?

Old 06-02-2019, 03:19 PM
RobertMc
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not really sure what you are asking.

-Disconnect everythin to the cab. (steering column, brakes, wiring etc)
-remove cab bolts
- remove cab:
if you have a hoist you simply hoist it up. (Best)
I simply used a floor jack and large truck jack stands to get it nice and high. I used 4x4 wood posts as beams, on top the stands, set wider than the cab. The cab sat on the wood beams. This allowed me to remove the wheels, and roll the frame out on heavy duty vehicle dollies.

Small rims without tires, mounted in place of the normal wheels, can also be handy when rolling frames out from under bodies.

Last edited by RobertMc; 06-02-2019 at 03:24 PM.

Quick Reply: 87-96 Dakota Cab Bolt Removal