1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Dead Battery

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 01:39 PM
dobaroy
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dead Battery

On our 92 Dak 5.2 we seem to have problems with the battery going dead. Every so often when you go to it there is not enough battery to crank it over. This has been going on for quite some time. Have swapped in a couple of different batteries and swapped the alternator. Any other suggestions? Thanks

Old 03-29-2014, 05:49 PM
jockjock
Amateur

You have a ground problem somewhere. Look in the obvious pinch points for the hot wire. I had a similar problem in my 96, turned out to be the wire going from the battery to my starter. My father in law had the same problem in his 95 but in 3 spots, the starter wire, the passenger window switch and another that was pinched above his transmission and body.

Old 03-29-2014, 06:23 PM
92DakotaClub
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well if your in ontario... checking for corroded wires would be a start .

Starter wire is bad for this on starter itself. then harness on fender etc...

Also you can run a Temp Ground to Engine and chassis using min 4 guage to eliminate ground problem(currently have a 0 guage on my frame rail to primary and second battery cause of winch draw)

Old 03-29-2014, 07:05 PM
Brian in Tucson
All Star

Originally Posted by jockjock
You have a ground problem somewhere. Look in the obvious pinch points for the hot wire. I had a similar problem in my 96, turned out to be the wire going from the battery to my starter. My father in law had the same problem in his 95 but in 3 spots, the starter wire, the passenger window switch and another that was pinched above his transmission and body.
I believe the wire to the starter is a positive (hot) wire.

On vehicles as old as ours, it is distinctly possible that the battery post connectors and the wires from the battery are past pull date. Complete new wires can make a difference and are inexpensive and easy to install.

Try cleaning and using new dielectric cream on the connectors for the alternator, too. Disconnect the battery first, of course.

A dumb question about all these different batteries, were they all new? Do they otherwise hold a charge when you let them charge up with a battery charger? My truck did what the OP's truck did, turned out the battery went bad.

Last edited by Brian in Tucson; 03-29-2014 at 07:09 PM.
Old 03-30-2014, 09:26 AM
dobaroy
Veteran

Thank you all for your replies. Yes the batteries were new that we put in that truck but we are going to start by replacing the battery cables. We have worked on some of the grounds, where the battery cable connects to the motor and the one that goes from the motor to the body. Likely going to install a ground strap from the frame rail to the battery and check for other grounds. We also cleaned up the starter wires but they weren't too bad. Question for 92 Dak Club, where did you install your second battery? Thanks

Quick Reply: Dead Battery