1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

96 2.5 Won't start

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 11:38 PM
JackAColeman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 2.5 Won't start

Hey guys I'm new to the forum and I'm looking for some help with my 96 dakota 4 cylinder. I got it a few months ago non running and the distributor had jumped a tooth or something because it was off by a cylinder and when I fixed that it started right up and everything worked. Drove it for 35 miles and then bought some bad gas and it died and hasn't been the same since. Once I got the water and crap out it ran but only if you had the throttle depressed a little, I figure that's the IAC, but about a week ago it wouldn't start at all so I threw a timing light on it and I got no spark, and then some intermittent spark, and it comes and goes but mostly I get no spark. So I come on here and find the splice problem and check it out, first thing I do is swap out the auto shutdown relay for another one (AC Clutch) and it works (still a bad IAC but that's no biggie). But then it dies after 10 seconds. So I switch the relays back and I get the same thing. It seems like every time I pull the relay out and put it back in it starts working again for a few seconds. So I pull up the power distribution box and find the splice where the asd and fuel pump meet, but everything looks good. So I run the voltage tests in the FAQ and get 12v on terminal 30 at all times, 12v on 86 in on, and 85 works as ground in start. I have no idea what it means by check continuity between 87 and fuel injectors and ignition coils and stuff. To make matters more confusing, sometimes when I put the ignition on, my speedo jumps around and my odometer starts counting up. Any help would be very much appreciated, thanks in advance.

Old 03-31-2014, 03:27 PM
JackAColeman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bumping. Has nobody had this problem?

Quick Reply: 96 2.5 Won't start