1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Oil Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 09:04 PM
keilkravec
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Pressure

Been having a pressure issue the last 2 weeks, at cold I have good pressure, 3/4 gauge or about 40-60lbs. once its up to temp, it plumets to the bottom, maybe 5-7lbs if that. at cruising speed of 65-70, its a little above quarter gauge, 10-15lbs and then drops soon as I let off the throttle. When I hit the brakes after it being at nothing, it will come up to 10-15lbs. From what I've seen it could either be the sensor or the pump itself, anyone else had symptoms like these?

Old 05-24-2014, 03:46 PM
Brian in Tucson
All Star
Unhappy

Originally Posted by keilkravec
Been having a pressure issue the last 2 weeks, at cold I have good pressure, 3/4 gauge or about 40-60lbs. once its up to temp, it plumets to the bottom, maybe 5-7lbs if that. at cruising speed of 65-70, its a little above quarter gauge, 10-15lbs and then drops soon as I let off the throttle. When I hit the brakes after it being at nothing, it will come up to 10-15lbs. From what I've seen it could either be the sensor or the pump itself, anyone else had symptoms like these?
Get a mechanical gauge--install it temporarily and see what your oil pressure is. Doesn't sound like the sender, sounds like bearing wear--maybe the cam? Oil pumps, being bathed in oil almost never go bad. Low oil pressure at cruising RPM is really not a good sign.

How many miles on the engine, and when did you do your last oil change?

Old 05-25-2014, 10:20 AM
keilkravec
Veteran

Got 231k and climbing as Tank is my D.D. Just changed it out maybe 3-4k ago but run full synthetic and it stays clean up past 12k, still change the filter out every 3k though. And any suggestions of removing the stock sending unit? its crammed in between the dist and egr valve and pushed close to the firewall, close enough i threw in the towel yesterday due to not being able to get any wrench i had on it. Mind you he is almost 21 years old so I know hes gettin old but still, gotta have a way to get to work

Quick Reply: Oil Pressure