1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Headlight Adjuster Screws

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 10:44 PM
JN2Wheels
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight Adjuster Screws

Hey, All. I've been rehabbing a 1995 Dakota v6 4x4, with extensive reading on this forum.. Thanks! There's so much here, this is the first time I've needed to post!

The headlights need to be adjusted to pass Maryland Inspection. The Flexi adjust screws are seized beyond all hope. One even snapped. I've searched for hours to find a replacement part for these, and how to install. I'm pretty sure I can get the headlamp assembly out, but I could really use some help locating and installing the new adjuster extensions.

Any one done this job? Or had success loosening them up? Or ditched them altogether and found another replacement to adjust and aim?

This is a last bit of punch list items, so I'm really hoping I don't have to replace the whole assembly... That I can just swap out the adjustment extensions.

Old 07-18-2014, 05:07 PM
bctom
Amateur
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a headlamp housing cracked beyond repair. The wreckers here wanted the some price as a new one, so I ordered a new one.

Surprisingly enough the new light came complete including the molded tabs to accept the stock aiming fitting. The only thing I had to do was to slip the existing plastic tab on the end of the adjusting screw/cable off the old housing and onto the new.

I used a combination of "Fluid Film" and Armorall. I suspect any good plastic restorer/lubricant would work to soften up the plastic tab and help it slip off the old housing. It seems to me that plastic parts can get as stuck together as metal parts.

As for a new adjusting fitting I've never heard of replacements other than at a wrecking yard.

Are you just trying to adjust the headlights or do the licensing rules require the aiming mechanism to be in place and operable?
If you're just trying to aim the light then I would snap off any old plastic in the way and twist the aiming screw with a pair of pliers.

Good Luck

Quick Reply: Headlight Adjuster Screws