1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

'92 2.5 Won't stay Running

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 02:49 PM
MrFluffy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '92 2.5 Won't stay Running

I'm having trouble diagnosing what is wrong with my dads pickup. It's a '92 Dakota 2.5L 2wd 5spd. Last year it starting running kind of rough and then it finally ran too rough and would stall out (over the course of maybe a mile). So far I have replaced the fuel filter and fuel pump. Here's what happened so far:

Broke down

Checked air and spark. Both OK

Checked fuel, weak stream at throttle body

Listened for fuel pump and could still hear it

Replaced fuel filter, no effect

Replaced fuel pump (weak maybe) no effect

Runs smooth when fuel is poured into intake.

I'm thinking it could be the fuel pump relay or the fuel injection relay. I'm also about to go out and make sure that I didn't put the filter on backwards. (In my defense the marking was on the bracket and I reused my old bracket).

Any ideas?

Last edited by MrFluffy; 06-29-2014 at 02:51 PM. Reason: Left out year, engine, drive, etc
Old 06-29-2014, 07:07 PM
archemedes74
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like an injector issue, it's only partially opening maybe? I'd use a noid (little led light plugs into injector harness) light to see what kind of signal it's getting, if that's good, and fuel pressure is good (which I would assume it is since you've replaced the pump and filter) if the pump relay was bad the pump wouldn't run

Quick Reply: '92 2.5 Won't stay Running