1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

93 Dakota LE 3.9 Auto Problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 07:01 PM
HRegister
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 Dakota LE 3.9 Auto Problems

I have a 93 Dakota LE 3.9 that started giving me problems.

It was fine going to work then at lunch when leaving the parking lot it started backfiring through the throttle body.Bogs down with normal pressure on gas pedal and would just about choke itself with WOT
I managed to get it home changed the plugs,plug wires,distributor cap and rotary button.Still having the same problem.
I have changed TPS ,Map sensor,IAC still no change.
I cut the cat off and replaced it with a temp pipe to see if it help and its still the same.
Compression was checked and all were between 155 and 160 except for one and it was between 145 and 150.
Also fuel filter changed.
The area around the IAC sounds like a little jet engine sucking air untill it get s warm but once the engine is warm It will idle normal and the air sucking stops or is very little.
CEL is not on. No code stored (except 12,55).I unplug the map sensor CEL comes on.If I unplug the IAC it does not.Could this be a sign that the PCM is going bad?
Thought maybe it jumped timing but would it idle fine when warm if it did?

Old 09-04-2014, 10:12 PM
Jim1993Dakota

I have a 93 Dodge Dakota LE w/5.2, and I changed my PCM and still having codes, come and go, but I went under the hood and geggled the wires and the engine almost stoped...so I will start looking in that direction now.

....jim1993dakota

Old 09-06-2014, 11:55 PM
HRegister

well it seems to be fixed.............. fuel pump was going out.only had 10/18psi .put in the new one and she is seems to be running fine

Quick Reply: 93 Dakota LE 3.9 Auto Problems