1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

94 Dakota problems...

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 11:16 PM
Epona
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 Dakota problems...

Am having issues with my 94 Dakota..V8, manual, 4X4. Had a no-start about 2 weeks ago. Got it towed to the shop, and new distributor and the sensor with it was needed (sensor was done first, but when he looked at the dist., said that was no good and was what blew the sensor). Since I got it back, it was running ok at first... now it is doing some odd things. Does not have the power it should, particularly up hills or when I hook up my 2horse trailer (which it towed fine before this). It does eventually get to speed, but not as fast as it should, and loses speed up hills and I have to shift down to a lower gear than it should normally be in (like up a hill on the highway, I should be fine in 5th at 65-70mph...now I have to go to 4th). If I don't shift down, the RPMS zip up (over 3- 3 1/2K) and I get a funny (I think oil) smell, then RPMs go back to normalish (around 1800-2), then up again if I demand more power.... Have just changed air filter and the PCV and hose (hose was cracked) as well, no change. Also randomly shudders a little (I think this is 'missing', but not positive since I have never been in a vehicle that misses before) sometimes while driving at hwy speed, or when letting off the gas at hwy speed. Oh, and I checked the resistance on all the injectors, they are all at 15 ohm, which seems normal from what I could find online. Haven't gotten a pressure gauge yet, but that was next ....any ideas on what to check and what could be going on? Had new fuel pump put in 2yrs ago as well...

Old 10-16-2014, 12:26 PM
tbugden
All Star
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

If it's a manual and your RPMs are increasing without the truck accelerating, then more than likely your clutch is slipping. What you're smelling is burning clutch. Shuddering is also a symptom of a bad clutch.

Quick Reply: 94 Dakota problems...