1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

1996 4x4 Build

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 10:05 PM
pinkfloydeffect
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking 1996 4x4 Build

Get ready this thread will be long.

I have been on this site with my 1988 70k build for a few years and now I want to build something in the complete opposite direction; lifted 4x4 completely utiliterized truck unlike my RWD dropped 88' reg cab that cant even handle any payload in the bed and I baby plus it has no OD.

I found a 1996 which was great because this was the only year they came with an OBD-II system and its also an SLT the guy was asking $800 said it needed a brake line otherwise sat for 1-2 years and has 159k highway miles. These were two of the pictures I had to go by it was 1.5 hours away I decided to take a look:

Name:  IMG_1339_zps8a02e0ce.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  465.6 KB

When I went to look at it we could not get it to crank over, something with the alarm system but the guy seemed to have no reason to lie. It was solid besides that even factory skid plates untouched so I bought it untested for $700 picked it up with a trailer:
Name:  IMG_1681_zps1f30b776.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  637.8 KB

Don't let looks deceive you this truck is solid for the price just needs some TLC its a good core to build off of:
Name:  IMG_1689_zps43a82689.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  756.5 KB

The skirt is held on by two large zip-ties, and the fog lights are toasted...headlights are bright all other lights are in working order. This entire clip is coming off and I am putting an 87-90 boxy nose on it so it really does not matter anyway:
Name:  IMG_1693_zpsba48d790.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  776.5 KB

The fenders and the rocker panels are all solid there is even body over spray still on the bottom of the cab, only thing rusted is the chassis itself I mean look at the wheels!
Name:  IMG_1695_zpsa63a2cfe.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  914.5 KB

The only other rust on the body besides the roof is the tailgate and rear bumper, he mangled the bumper pulling the truck out for me which is okay because I have another one already waiting for i off another truck but...he put the first dent in the body in the process on the lower drivers tail. The tailgate appears okay but the bottom is completely rusted out oddly and the only other rust like that is completely isolated and patchable under the wheel wells. I will get a tool box for the bed so I can store tons of tools and have on-board compressor with me with AC inverters and everything needed to service myself and others!
Name:  IMG_1696_zpsfc8d8a5b.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  707.4 KB

It has every whistle and bell they came with, no burn holes in the interior I really can not complain I do need some of those deep molded floor mats though for sand and snow and such. My 88' did not have airbags, tilt steering column, cruise control...definitely an upgrade!
Name:  IMG_1707_zps6bf9e6d5.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  636.8 KB

My 88' also did not have ceiling handles and a center console, I need to fix the rear view mirror though so I will probably install one out of a newer truck with map lights on it and auto dimming capabilities for highbeam glare:
Name:  IMG_1710_zpsf8441679.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  503.4 KB

More storage under the seats is awesome too, just need to shampoo the inside and I should be in good shape overall I am happy with my purchase. The first day I had it home I messed with the remote and it turned over and started as if it was running yesterday so I will be removing that alarm unit for sure...now I just need to fix the brakes and do a thorough tune up!
Name:  IMG_1703_zpsdbab1fa9.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  639.6 KB

Old 11-16-2014, 10:11 AM
92DakotaClub
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bout time you got a four be four !!!!! lol

Airbags? who the hell needs first generation death bags? i disabled (fuses and module and dummy light on dash) the ones on my 98 TJ due to fact its a deathtrap anyway .(medical authorization to do so, its legal )

Handles? if your gonna use em while driving you got more things to worry about LOL

Anyway Congrats on moving higher up off the ground truck looks pretty solid , typical peeling paint and damage on side of driver seat, hopefully you get er going without much hassle, as you got it running already ,could be worst tho i watched a duramax 2500 go up in flames in parkinglot at work yesterday LOL

Old 11-17-2014, 08:24 PM
Alacoque
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats on the new truck, looks like a great find. Looking forward to reading! Subscribed.

Old 12-22-2014, 05:43 PM
JunkYard5_2
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have most of the bells and whistles.. Factory roll bar with off road lights and switch below the fog light switch (I have the switch and plug and play factory harness for this), bucket seats with the center console, power sliding rear window was an option, etc etc... bose stereo? Not trying to rain on your parade, just saying you have some stuff to hunt down if you are looking for ideas!

Old 12-22-2014, 06:04 PM
dipsherry
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why is every built 4x4 dak a green 1g lol

Old 12-23-2014, 10:40 PM
Tom A
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dipsherry
Why is every built 4x4 dak a green 1g lol