1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Need help with Sputtering/Chugging/Oil Consumption, and more...

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2014, 03:08 PM
huseman808
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with Sputtering/Chugging/Oil Consumption, and more...

I have a 1995 Dakota 3.9L 4x4 that i purchased in July. I am having alot of issues as of late with sputtering, and chugging, and occasionally dying at idle.

My CEL is not on, but I am getting these codes via the key-cycle method...

32 EGR system failure
42 Fuel pump relay control ckt, Auto shutdown relay control ckt, No ASD relay output voltage at PCM, Fuel level sending unit volts out of range, Fuel level unit No change over miles
53 Internal control failure

First of all I know I probably need a new ECU. if i put the truck on accessory, and go under the hood and just squeeze the ECU i can get relays to click in the PDC, and cycle the fuel pump. The code 53 just reassures me of this.

The sputtering and chugging, (i think it may have even backfired through the intake once), happens right when the truck approaches operating temperature. It shakes the whole truck and misses real bad. It is most noticeable at 55mph and above I can give it gas and kickdown and it goes away, its really just around 2500-3000 rpm. And after about 20 minutes of driving it doesnt really do it any longer. Like I said some times the truck starts running really rough and will sputter out and die when not moving, at idle.

I have read up on all the problems with the Plenum Belly pan gasket, and I am experiencing oil consumption. (about 1qt every 5 weeks or so.) I was originally going to just go for this repair, but after seeing that I have an EGR failure code, I am wondering if I fixed this gasket if my sputtering/chugging issues would continue.

On a side note. I have a buddy that wrecked his 99 jeep and said I can have his 318 out of it for 200$ I might actually go this route and just find a v8 ECU (since I need one anyway) and toss the V8 in.

Thanks for opinions and help

Quick Reply: Need help with Sputtering/Chugging/Oil Consumption, and more...