1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

jeep axle internals swap ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 09:10 PM
dakotakid17
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default jeep axle internals swap ?

i was wondering if i got 29 spline axles and if i get a 29 spline locker would it work with my 94 ring and pinion. if so would i be able to use the jeep disc brake set up if i got 5 lug Chrysler 8.25 axles ? just curiosity thinking cause i was wondering sense the jeep and the dak rear ends are both 8.25 just one leaf spring and one coil spring if i could get a 5 lug pattern for more rim options and get a disc brake set up at once that would be cool. anyone know ?

Old 12-01-2014, 09:45 PM
dakotakid17
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i think it can be done

i found a forum where people swap there Chrysler 8.25/Dana 35s to disc quite easily apparently from what i understand is if you have the whole disc break set up from a 95 to 98 grand Cherokee and the axles the bolt pattern at the end of the axle housing are the same so you can bolt the backing plate and the caliper right up with no clearance issues then all you would have to do is get new hub bearing or rotors for the front. that's the way i see it anyways anyone have any opinions ? http://cherokeekid5.tripod.com/zj_discs_on_a_xj.htm

Old 12-03-2014, 08:22 AM
marcar1993
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The length of the axles is likely different. You could swap the whole rear from a jeep in, but it probably will take a decent amount of cutting and some welding, for not much gain. You cannot just swap the axles, as I'm sure they are different lengths. If you really want 5 lug that bad, call moser or another axle supplier and they can probably make you a set of custom length axles with whatever bolt pattern you want, but I don't see the benefit to gain rear disc brakes. They do very little of the stopping, so why go through all this $ and effort for it? (Not trying to be come across like an a hole, just my opinion and trying to save you the aggravation for little gain)

Quick Reply: jeep axle internals swap ?