1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Rough Idle, Occasional Stall, Sputtering, Loud Engine Popping and Shaking at 50+ mph

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 10:21 PM
Travis827
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rough Idle, Occasional Stall, Sputtering, Loud Engine Popping and Shaking at 50+ mph

Newbie question, and I'm no expert mechanic, so bear with me.

1994 Dodge Dakota 4x4 club cab. 195,000 miles on the truck, but it's got a rebuilt engine with anywhere from 10-20,000 on it. Custom lift, etc.

Since just the past few months, when I get going over 50 mph I get a loud, repetitive and deadly-sounding popping from under the hood. It also backfires loudly out the exhaust multiple times when I first start it for the day (I just drive it around town at low speeds.)

Haven't done much investigative work: just wondering if there's an obvious first step I need to take.

I had all headers replaced (and permanently sealed I believe?) just a few months ago.

The truck has had bad exhaust fumes since I bought it. Other than that it's run fine after that header replacement and up until now.

Any obvious suggestions? Many thanks.

Old 01-13-2015, 12:21 AM
92V8Dakota

Did you check for codes? Turn the ignition on and off 3 times quickly and then count the flashes. There's a list of explained codes on this forum. They are two digit codes so 2 flashes, a pause, 3 flashes equals a code 23. There will be a longer pause in between codes. I'm tring to figure out a similar problem with mine. No backfiring but I get the shaking at higher rpms. I got a map sensor code so I'm replacing that soon.

Old 01-17-2015, 03:28 PM
Travis827

Don't have a code reader, but let me know what you found out will ya? From just doing some reading around it sounds like my overall engine troubles may be exhaust system related. The truck's had bad exhaust since I bought it about a year ago, but it's gotten noticeably worse in recent months.

Old 01-18-2015, 12:07 AM
92V8Dakota

You don't need a code reader. Just follow the method I described above. I've done a tuneup on my truck, plugs wires, cap and rotor, fuel filter. Still have the same problems. Replacing map sensor and iac valve next.

Old 01-18-2015, 12:48 PM
Travis827

Read your post too fast - gotcha! Thanks.

Old 01-18-2015, 01:03 PM
Travis827

Welp, I'm getting 55 - but there is definitely some bad stuff happening with this truck. Faulty computer system I guess? I am dealing with a rebuilt engine (I didn't rebuild it) and (what I think) is an aftermarket Holley v8 throttle body...

Old 01-18-2015, 02:10 PM
DukeDomB
Rookie

These trucks came stock with Holley TBs, and although it bears the Holley name, the TB is neither aftermarket nor a performance part.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:31 PM
92V8Dakota

Just thought I'd let you know. I changed the computer in my truck with one from the junkyard and my issues are gone! I'd recommend you trying this to fix your problem. New computers can be expensive but my used one was only $60. I used one out of a 1994 Ram Van. But you should be able to use one out of a Ram truck, Van or Dakota so long as it has the same engine and transmission. Anything from 92-95 should work I believe. From what I've read online on other sites it seems like the computers are a weak link on these trucks. Of course I can't guarantee it will work but I figure it's worth a shot!

Old 04-07-2015, 02:27 PM
RD_RT
Default Engine Stalls

I have a 98 Dodge Dakota R/T 5.9 360 Magnum. Engine stalls and shuts completely down while driving. I coasted onto the side of the road this morning and it wouldn't start back. Backfired a couple of times, but now just cranks. No Check Engine light. No flashes with ignition code method. Any ideas? I towed it to a shop, but would like to know if it's something simple.

Old 04-08-2015, 01:28 PM
DukeDomB
Rookie

Originally Posted by RD_RT
I have a 98 Dodge Dakota R/T 5.9 360 Magnum. Engine stalls and shuts completely down while driving. I coasted onto the side of the road this morning and it wouldn't start back. Backfired a couple of times, but now just cranks. No Check Engine light. No flashes with ignition code method. Any ideas? I towed it to a shop, but would like to know if it's something simple.
Hey there, just FYI, you'll need to take this question over to the 2nd Gen forum and start a new thread of your own. You'll have better chances of getting your question answered in the proper forum and won't be stepping on the toes of the original person in this thread.

Quick Reply: Rough Idle, Occasional Stall, Sputtering, Loud Engine Popping and Shaking at 50+ mph