1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

My Truck Is Not Starting - Video Attached

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 10:45 PM
Dakotr95
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow My Truck Is Not Starting - Video Attached

Hey guys. I have a 95 3.9l V6 Dakota that I overhauled quite a while ago, and I am still having trouble trying to start it up. I already tried pouring some gas on the intake. There's spark and fuel in the rail, and I just changed the crankshaft position sensor. It sounds like it wants to start, but it just turns and turns. Attached is a video so you guys can see what I mean. Could someone please help me out? Thanks!

Last edited by Dakotr95; 02-05-2015 at 01:56 PM. Reason: video url
Old 02-07-2015, 08:20 AM
jockjock
Amateur

Fuel pump wires are gone. Take a multimeter and check for 12-14.4V under the relay when the key is in the "ON" position. Trace that wire every few feet back all the way to the pump and see if it stays constant. If it drops off to under 12 then you will have to fab up a new harness, about 16 feet should put you in the ballpark to get from the fuel pump to the relay. You can also have someone stick their ear in your drivers rear wheel well and listen for the pump to engage when you first click your ignition to on, not start. Just because there is fuel in your lines doesn't mean it is properly pressurized. If it is warm out, or your truck has sat, some fuel will evaporate into your rails and can pressurize enough to come out of the schrader valve on your rails. If your wires are fine but the pump wont turn on, be prepared to buy one of the most absurdly expensive parts for our trucks IMHO.

Old 02-08-2015, 04:36 PM
kahanabob
Captain

sounds like a timing issue, maybe dizzy in wrong? would think if you pour gas in the carb it would fire more than it is....

Old 02-09-2015, 09:10 AM
Dakotr95
Amateur

Thanks for the help guys. I think I may have found the problem; not sure yet. I removed the fuel injectors yesterday and turns out that only two of them are clicking, which means that I only had two cylinders functioning. I had the suspicion of this before when I removed the spark plugs. The plugs 1 and 6 were moist with gasoline and the others were pretty much dry. Injectors 1 and 6 are the only ones working right now. I don't think that they could be fried since they all have a resistance of about 15 ohms. Now I have to find a way to get the injectors to unstick!

Quick Reply: My Truck Is Not Starting - Video Attached