1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

2wd suspension upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 08:06 PM
Malibusurfer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2wd suspension upgrades

Hi everyone,
Been lurking and trying to learn about Dakota frames here, and would like some info and hope I am in the right place. There was a guy here a few years ago that wanted to put a older Dodge truck on a Dakota frame. His thread ended a few years ago... I am wanting to do a similar frame swap.
I am trying to locate a 5 lug early 2wd Dakota frame. Once I have found one, what would you guys "in the know" do to get the most suspension performance out of these trucks without lowering and with lowering?? What company supports upgrades that you trust??
What kind of hp/torque do you think these frames could support? What kind of hp can the rear diff support?

The reason I want a new frame is mine is bent and like the IFS front end and the fact that the frame is half boxed in from the factory.

I am basically building a hot rod truck

Thank you!!!!

Old 03-06-2015, 09:46 AM
Cooreman
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As for upgraded control arms you're on your own. Just gotta measure and find one with the same mounting points and length. Let me know what you find out. As for frames I'm sure they could do 300 easy. But if you're doing 400-500 it wouldn't hurt to reinforce it. I have not ran a hopped up motor in these frames but just a hunch. Keep us posted on your build sounds interesting

Quick Reply: 2wd suspension upgrades