1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

1989 dakota and crankshaft position sensor

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 08:09 PM
hoeky
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 1989 dakota and crankshaft position sensor

I have the truck which is a 89--2.5 L. where is the crankshaft and cam position sensors? are they in the distributor? if so why do they go bad? we replaced those about 2 years ago.
this truck went from running to running rough to NOT running all within a week.

thanks in advance for all the help, I'm almost bald from this project.

bob

Old 04-21-2015, 12:36 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

For 1988, the factory service manual mentions neither part, what the 88 2.5 had is a Hall Effect Sensor in the distributor that serves as a spark pick up.

There's a nice long set of troubleshooting steps in section 8D for the 2.5L 4 in the FSM - I'd grab a FSM off Ebay (can be had for around $15 to $25 right as I type this) and work through that.

As to why do they fail, well, overall it seems the cheap sensors are crap sensors ...

RwP

Old 04-21-2015, 06:30 PM
hoeky
Rookie

here is an update---I have fuel,spark. when I pour gas in it runs until gas is gone then wont start. I changed the fuel injector. so now it seems to be narrowed down to the POWER to the injector. that 2 wire connector. they call it the injector cap. that will only go on 1 direction. is there something else that i'm missing?

Old 04-22-2015, 08:36 AM
tbugden
All Star
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Confused...what do you mean it runs until gas is gone and then won't start? That's what happens when you run out of gas???

Old 04-22-2015, 09:31 AM
hoeky
Rookie

I can pour fuel in the throttle body and the motor will run until the fuel is burned up and the motor quits running.

Old 04-22-2015, 07:18 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Hoeky - Borrow a set of NOID lights and see if you're getting the signal at the injector.

Back track to the ECU.

On my 1988 V6, I lost one of the two injector drive signals off my ECU, so I had to replace it with another one. Not saying it's the ECU, now, but see if that's the problem.

Also, get a nice fuel pressure tester, let's see what kind of pressure you've got on that fuel rail. If it's not high enough, or if it's too high, the injector can't work. (Not enough == not enough fuel, too much == injector can't open against the pressure.)

Now - for the exact pressures, and the exact wiring you need, I highly Highly HIGHLY recommend the Factory Service Manual. Mine is a 1988, and may not be useful for your 1989. If all else fails, you can always check out AllDataDIY and purchase a one year subscription which will have the same info, just a bit harder to find sometimes.

RwP

Old 04-27-2015, 07:25 PM
hoeky
Rookie

Great news!!!
It runs!!
the injector cap was the problem. had to special order but it finally got here,put it on and fired it up and it took right off!.

thanks for everyones help! bob

Quick Reply: 1989 dakota and crankshaft position sensor