1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

95 Dakota 2.5 randomly dies and randomly won't start

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 10:54 PM
scottyspades
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 Dakota 2.5 randomly dies and randomly won't start

Had it runnin for a week and a half. Lost power twice on the highway, almost like the motor stepped out for a second. I'd downshift to 3rd and shed take off like a raped ape. Ran my buddy 9 miles to work today and it died in the parking lot. 5 minutes later it started up. Made it halfway home and it died. Started it up when I was waiting for a rollback with no issues. Started up and drove into the garage off the rollback. Idles for 15 minutes and shut itself off after almost overheating(rad fan didn't switch on, but works if jumped off battery). It has a new coil, cap, rotor, hall effect, and has a full 22 gallons of gas. I have checked the iac and its working. Any ideas please? I'm at a loss.

Old 04-26-2015, 09:06 PM
smokin1994
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like my 94 with the 3.9...fuel pump. After it dies, check the schrader valve on the injector rail. Mine was dry, no fuel.

Old 05-07-2015, 06:49 PM
scottyspades
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put a new fuel pump in it and a new filter for good measure, and now it doesn't shut off but it wants to sputter and buck off and on. Its got a code 25 and 33 which are IAC valve circuit and ac clutch fan respectively. Through all of this it has No CHECK ENGINE light. I'm goin to the boneyard in the morning for an IAC and possibly a TPS. Anything else it could be?

Quick Reply: 95 Dakota 2.5 randomly dies and randomly won't start