1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

92 3.9 to 5.9 engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2005, 12:20 AM
360DakotaPwr
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 3.9 to 5.9 engine swap

I am swapping my 92 v6 for a 99 RT durango motor. I am ising a 92 318 computer as the brain and I am running the returnless fuel system out of an 03 Dakota all the way from the tank to the injectors. The truck doesnt run any different with the late model fuel system that I can tell, however I plan on using the stock grey injectors that come in late model 318 and 360 motors, since they both run the same injectors. The thing I am wondering is if I shoud go to smaller injectors so I am running the same fuel flow rate as stock since I am pushing 50 psi now instead of the stock 35 psi. Any knowledgable suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 11-09-2005, 01:51 AM
tyhoppy
Default RE: 92 3.9 to 5.9 engine swap

When running boost it is imparative to have more fuel flow, but not too much, you need to get your computer tuned to run right with boost, and also you MAF sensor and IAT sensor will not work the same with different injectors. It will not realize it and just blow either more or less fuel depending on the injector, your injectors are controlled by either the MAF or the O2 sensor, but not both, so, when your computer runs off the MAF it pushed too much fuel and makes it want to stall, the computer then reads the 02 and realizes too much fuel and backs off. it is a seemingly never ending cycle, after about 10 minutes your computer will learn enough to keep the motor running, but no gain is noticed. This is only my understanding of how things work, but I havn't had experiences with this situation exactly, This is how the 4 cylinders work, to my understanding. Any questions, just ask. Also, you may get by with getting a MAF sensor "recalibrated" for 50# injectors, only problem is that the recalibrated MAF just fools the computer, and may make it run too rich or too lean at certain RPM ranges. see, the recalibration is simply just using a resistor or something along those lines to change the voltage the MAF sends the computer to what it thinks it needs to be at. but I have heard that a recalibrated MAF isn't efficient and can cause problems. your best bet is to find an engine control module that will work with your setup and is programmable. spend the cash to get it programmed. It is well worth it. You will see significant gains, and you won't blow up your motor as quick. Again, this is my understanding of how this works, it is not fact. If anyone else will correct me, I am sure. Good luck.

Old 11-10-2005, 07:47 PM
360DakotaPwr
Veteran
Default RE: 92 3.9 to 5.9 engine swap

MAF ? MAP maybe (Manifold Absolute Pressure sensor)?

I'm not running boost, however, the best I can figure is that the MAP sensor will read the vacume and correct my fuel flow accordingly. I am still running stock 19 lb. but 50 psi fuel instead of 35 psi so I will be flowing like 22 or so.

I'm not looking for performance, its just a daily driver. I guess I was looking to see if someone agrees on if the computer will compensate for the fuel increase or not. It probably wont, but im not worried about it because it will still run. Eventually I will block off the idle speed motor and turn up th idle screw.

Thanks.

Quick Reply: 92 3.9 to 5.9 engine swap