1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Auto Tran vs. Manual

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 11:38 AM
blizzblang
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Auto Tran vs. Manual

So within a month or so ( after tax returns).
I plan on swapping my automatic for an AX-15 manual.
From the FAQ I read that the Gear ratios are different.
42RH (2.74, 1.54, 1.0, 0.69, Rev. 2.21)
AX-15(3.83, 2.33, 1.44, 1.00, 0.79, Rev. 4.22)
1993 v6 2WD Dakota.
The Manual has higher torque. I'm running mostly stock engine parts.
- Should I expect my Engine to go faster at higher speeds ( compared to the auto )?
- Will my dak accelerate slower?
Right now, with the auto, I can do ~75 at 2400 RPM on the highway no problem. Should I expect that to drop with the manual, or will the power increase from not having a torque converter compensate for that?

Last edited by blizzblang; 02-02-2016 at 11:23 AM.
Old 01-28-2016, 10:16 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 372 Likes on 343 Posts

Blizzblang -

"Should I expect my dak to go slower at higher speeds?" That makes no sense, but what I THINK you meant was, "Will my road speed be lower at the same engine speed?"

With the manual, due to the 5th gear being .79 on the AX15 and the 4th gear being .69 on the auto, AND the 42RH locking the converter up in overdrive, without touching the rear end, you'll see higher engine speeds for the same road speed (which falls out of the ratio, with the fact that the torque converter is locked at cruise.)

As to "Will my dak accelerate slower?" With the stiffer ratios, the AX-15 will let you get up to speed faster since it can run through the power band quicker. Now, if that translates to a total slower acceleration - at WOT, unless you're very, VERY good with a manual, a good automatic will beat you every time. Not by much, but a good auto can consistently shift gears faster than a manual. OTOH, on anything but WOT runs ... geez, who can tell? Depends on how you drive it.

RwP

Quick Reply: Auto Tran vs. Manual