1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

3.9L info

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 06:04 PM
LCF04
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3.9L info

Hey guys, I hope this bored is still going. Probably been 5 years since i checked these forums out.

Well this is what im up to now. I have a 1989 dodge Dakota 3.9L v6 single cab short box 5spd.

Since iv bought 5-6 years ago it has always had a back firing issue and now its like the ignition spark just up and decides to work then not work. Timing is good, Iv done the plugs, wires, cap and rotor. Doing that has not changed a thing. Some times it fires right up and then the next time it wont. When she don't fire you can tell there is no spark in the ignition just buy the sound of the old girl turning over.

My big question is can i get rid of all the stupid electronics and make it mechanical. is there such a thing or do i have to go the after market way to do this.

i have a 1987 parts truck and as far as i know 87 was the year they made the Dakota and its always had a throttle body on the crab.

Will i be able to find a maniacal set up or do i just go aftermarket right away to save me the trouble of not finding something dodge never did.

So in the end my plan is to use the chassy and drive train of my 89 and put a 1952 dodge pilot house on it then slam it on the ground. Then for fun turbo the 3.9L that is has till it blows up and then put a 318 or 360 in it.

I just want to get this 3.9L running right and i think the mechanical way is best by putting in my own fuel pump and rid the truck of the electronics. but if aftermarket is the only way and its expensive i might as well stat looking for the v8 setup and forget the 3.9L. I just find it a waste of pulling it cues i don't see selling this motor as a option in my area as there not desirable here in the middle of nowhere Saskatchewan Canada. so IMO turbo and drive her till she kicks no more.

all answers welcome fellas.

If I can figure out how to post pics and videos i can show y'all the fire its kicking out the crab on the backfire but im internet dumb and don't know how to do that stuff.

Old 01-29-2016, 06:19 PM
LCF04

Last edited by LCF04; 01-29-2016 at 06:25 PM.
Old 01-29-2016, 06:33 PM
LCF04
Old 01-29-2016, 11:00 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 372 Likes on 343 Posts

you'll need SOME electronics - there's no vacuum/centrifical advance distributors available for the 3.9.

The 1987 is pure carburated, although with electronic feedback.

It may do better to fix the backfire.

When mine (a 1988, basically identical to the 1989) started that, I was having problems with the cat being plugged and the injectors in the throttle body failing.

I'd be checking the normal basics for backfires first.

Oh, and what kind of shape is the timing chain and gears in? How about the distributor shaft?

As to the failing spark - again, basic troubleshooting. Wiring into the coil; the coil itself; wiring back to the PCM; and if nothing else a tach on the coil to see if spark completely disappears, or if it's the coil not firing (i.e., if turning over you get some tach signal but no spark, I'd look HARD at the coil).

RwP

Old 02-11-2016, 08:37 PM
LCF04

thanks for the advice but my brother has got me going in a different direction. I'm just going to put a 5.2l in right away as i have one lined up from my nabour that's taking it out a 1980 ram charger. All i think it needs is a new intake and 4bbl carb and then a tune up im hoping.

Ill still probably try a few things before ripping the 3.9l out. In the end im going to try to use as much of the motor for whatever looks cool. camshaft shifter lol stuff like that.

Old 02-11-2016, 10:00 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 372 Likes on 343 Posts

You'll also need motor mounts - the 1980's used Elephant Ears on the LA V8's.

You can make them, and they're available (kind of, more or less).

Also plan on putting an electric fan between the radiator and the A/C condensor, plus if possible bolting the water pump pulley straight to the water pump (no snout past the water pump).

Also, the 1980, if it hasn't been gone through, will suck big time. For some idiotic reason, Chrysler apparently just dropped the compression ratio in the motors of that vintage for smog reasons, so there's no quench worth mentioning.

See more about the older LA motors, and how to fix'em up to good stuff, at http://www.allpar.com/mopar/4bbl.html .

RwP

Quick Reply: 3.9L info