1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

87 Dakota 4g Swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 10:12 AM
boosted4g63t
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 87 Dakota 4g Swap

I'm sure this thread is going to throw some of you die hard mopar guys off the deep end but here it goes.

About a year ago i purchased my V6 2WD Dakota, with 60,000miles, with the intentions of some day swapping it. The truck was in excellent shape and i drove it everyday for the next year back and forth to work as well as many runs to home depot. The only work i did to it was tune up, new tires, radiator, hoses and reg. oil changes, besides that all i had to do was put gas in it and drive.

Old 02-25-2016, 11:04 AM
boosted4g63t

I have thought about all the swap options from the simplest being dropping in a 318 or the ever so popular LS Swap with a edlebrock carb set up but prior to picking a path i had to decide what i was trying to achieve in the long run. In my case i wanted a weekend racer that would occasionally see a drag strip maybe once or twice a year that could lay down some 10.99 E/Ts. Now the path i have chosen is by no means the easiest in which to achieve my goal but it is pretty cost affective considering i already have the powerplant and turbo set up sitting on a engine stand and many friends in the DSM community in which i can lean on both for parts and expertise. So here you have the 4g63T motor which was pulled from my 93 AWD talon for some refreshing and mods some of which will have to be removed or modified to fit my new application.

The engine specs as pictured:

Freshly built 4g63 eagle H beam rods , wiseco pistons 9.5 CR , stock crank, ACL Race bearings. The head has been ported and polished and includes manley springs, 1+ mm oversized vales, and a set of custom 278 cams. Some of the bolt ons currently on motor consist of a JMF Fab SHIM with S90 Throttle Body, this most likey wont make it on to truck unless i get the ***** to cut the manifold and flip it 180* so its fit the new rwd layout, also bolted on to motor is a Forced Performance Cast Exhaust manifold with FP3065 Ball Bearing Turbo, i will try and retain the turbo but the exhaust mani will also need to be replaced. The motor also has a magnus over sized fuel rail with FIC 1150CC injectors. I plan to keep this feed either by a in line fuel pump or a walboro 450lph in tank set up in a fuel cell. The brains of the operation is a socketed OEM Ecu running DSMLink with the Speed Destiny option.

Last edited by boosted4g63t; 02-28-2016 at 09:28 AM.
Old 02-27-2016, 11:47 AM
RobertMc
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting Idea... Personally I'm a fan.

Old 02-27-2016, 12:23 PM
boosted4g63t

Once I receive my adapter plate the party will start
http://www.billsautofab.com/recent_mit.asp

Quick Reply: 87 Dakota 4g Swap