1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Engine Hesitating and Stuttering

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2016, 03:29 PM
n.lambert104825
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Hesitating and Stuttering

I have a 1995 Dodge Dakota with the 5.2L V8 and automatic transmission. My engine is stuttering and hesitating when I give it gas and it idles very rough. I have replaced distributor cap and rotor, spark plugs, wires, EGR valve, fuel injectors, and PCV valve. I also had the computer replaced about 9 months ago. I am not getting any check engine codes with the problems I am having. I have taken it to multiple shops and nothing they have done has helped me out any in getting it fixed. Also I only have about 153,000 miles on it. Any help or advice anyone can give would be helpful and appreciated. Thanks.

Old 04-25-2016, 06:13 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

My first gander would be to look down the throttle body and see if there's any oil inside the plenum - if the plenum gasket goes, you'll get a vacuum leak that can DEFINATELY cause the symptoms you have!

If that's not it, it's time to do the normal (compression check; leakdown check; check the timing chain and valve timing; etc.)

Getting back to the plenum - if there's oil visible, or oily residue, your plenum gasket is blown; and you can either just replace it, and replace it when it blows (sucks?) again, and keep on doing that ... or fix the problem (caused by the intake being aluminum and using a steel plate) by using the Hughes Plenum Repair Kit ( long link! http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/p...JlcGFpciBLaXRz ) for your motor.

RwP

Old 04-30-2016, 12:20 PM
R1ch722
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by n.lambert104825
I have a 1995 Dodge Dakota with the 5.2L V8 and automatic transmission. My engine is stuttering and hesitating when I give it gas and it idles very rough. I have replaced distributor cap and rotor, spark plugs, wires, EGR valve, fuel injectors, and PCV valve. I also had the computer replaced about 9 months ago. I am not getting any check engine codes with the problems I am having. I have taken it to multiple shops and nothing they have done has helped me out any in getting it fixed. Also I only have about 153,000 miles on it. Any help or advice anyone can give would be helpful and appreciated. Thanks.
Check the positive wires from the harness to the injectors, I had this issue and found that all the positive wires for one side of the engine are crimped together and they get corroded and short to the block, won't throw a code but will **** you off.

Quick Reply: Engine Hesitating and Stuttering