1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

pick up coil etc.

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 10:30 PM
Soapy
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default pick up coil etc.

I have had the following problem occur on several first generation dakotas both with 318 and V6. Driving along and the truck just quits. May have to sit for a couple of minutes before it will restart. Usual fix for it is a new pickup coil and or weak coil. Another thing that is a problem on these is the distributor gear wear. They were on backorder for over 2 months this summer from chrysler so it must be a very common problem. My shop put a shim kit in it and the 318 runs so much better. I am sure this has been talked about several times before but nothing really pulled up when I did a search.

Old 08-19-2016, 10:22 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

there is no gear on the distributor, it fits into a "screwdriver slot" in the intermediate shaft which also drives the oil pump.
as far as the back order thing; 318s and 360s have not been made since 2003, so as more time goes by since a certain engine was made of course there's less of them still running so less demand for parts,
DON'T get me wrong, I love the 318s and 360s and could not give a rat's *** for the new Hemi or the 4.7s. but you gotta look at grim reality; but this is why I bought a 92 Dakota when my 93 got wrecked, and why 3+ years ago I bought the particular Durango that I did when we were looking, an hour away for similar money vs one that was available just 1-1/2 miles from home. I went for a 360 with (at the time) 214K miles as opposed to a 4.7 equipped one that only had 130-some K.... and why I am rebuilding another 360 to go into that same Durango, now with 258K miles instead of buying another....
it helps that the one I did buy came from the South, and has only seen 3 midwest winters but is 15 years old.

Old 08-19-2016, 10:25 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

there was a service bulletin about the lower bushing in the block that supports that intermediate shaft getting worn out, more so on the 3.9 because of it being what is called an "odd fire" engine....
those bushings can be had cheap from normal parts stores, I bought a couple off of Feebay when we rebuilt my son's (old style) 360 for his Ramcharger... same bushing fits 273-318-340-360 all the way back to the 1st 273s that originally came out in 1964!

Quick Reply: pick up coil etc.