1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

360 la to magnum efi

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 04:09 AM
Akoffroad
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 360 la to magnum efi

hi, i have a 1995 dodge dakota 5.2l that took a crap on me. i got a 91 360 la block with tbi. is it possible for me to use my heads, intake, distributor, pcm and throttle body as long as i use this adapter for the crank sensor?

http://stores.hi-potek.com/hipotek-c...agnum-efi-mpi/

im looking to increase the performance of the motor, and using my 318 magnum is not possible cause the bottom end is toast. i just want to know if using these parts will work and the motor will run. its basically just swapping top ends.
i know using magnum heads on a la block will increase performance a little, so if this works there's a little gain there
any info helps!

Last edited by Akoffroad; 09-07-2016 at 04:10 AM. Reason: wrong link
Old 09-07-2016, 06:21 AM
Toby Warford
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Akoffroad
hi, i have a 1995 dodge dakota 5.2l that took a crap on me. i got a 91 360 la block with tbi. is it possible for me to use my heads, intake, distributor, pcm and throttle body as long as i use this adapter for the crank sensor?

http://stores.hi-potek.com/hipotek-c...agnum-efi-mpi/

im looking to increase the performance of the motor, and using my 318 magnum is not possible cause the bottom end is toast. i just want to know if using these parts will work and the motor will run. its basically just swapping top ends.
i know using magnum heads on a la block will increase performance a little, so if this works there's a little gain there
any info helps!
Probably could, but an LA 360 has less performance then a magnum 318. Really going backwards.

Old 09-07-2016, 07:54 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Sell someone with an old school that 360, and buy a Magnum 5.2 or 5.9.

Also, start at http://magnumswap.com and see what they say, specifically about the "Use LA parts on a Magnum" (the considerations are mostly there going the OTHER way around too!); the parts CAN be swapped, but there's gotchas if you don't plan ahead.

RwP

Old 09-07-2016, 11:24 AM
Akoffroad
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well there is also always running an intake and a blow through carb and putting a turbo on it!! with only around 8 psi. and a new fuel pump. or should i just find a magnum motor along with the pcm? having my gauges work will be sorta nice.

Old 09-07-2016, 11:27 AM
robertmee
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Going to take more than just bolting the heads and intake onto the block....new pushrods, lifters, etc. Read the sticky here:

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/...la-blocks.html

Old 09-07-2016, 09:40 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by Akoffroad
well there is also always running an intake and a blow through carb and putting a turbo on it!! with only around 8 psi. and a new fuel pump. or should i just find a magnum motor along with the pcm? having my gauges work will be sorta nice.
For a 1995, the only gauge that's not wired to a discrete sender is a) the tach (at 2x per revolution; Dakota Digital, no relation, has a nice adapter for that) and b) the speedometer, which is driven off the VSS, so it's also transportable.

I'd find a Magnum motor to swap for that blown 5.2 Magnum; if you find one, you can use the PCM that's in the truck for a 5.2 easy peasy (that's about a Duh!).

It'll work for a 5.9, but it may run out at the max of a 5.9's grunt.

RwP

Quick Reply: 360 la to magnum efi