1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

3.9 to 5.2 swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2016, 12:24 PM
AppleCountyHemi
Rookie
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 93 ragtop
No mods needed for the crank sensor. The manual V6 and Manual V8 use the same one, at least according to rockauto.com.
The difference in the 3.9 flywheel and the 5.2 is the notches that the crank sensor detects. Also, I think the V8 flywheel is drilled for a 11in clutch whereas the V6 is drilled for a 10.4in. clutch.
Then as ragged pointed out, the 5.9 used an external balance, through the flywheel to balance the engine
The 3.9 and 5.2 were balanced through the crankshaft, therefore the flywheel is neutral balanced.

BTW nice looking truck!!
Does that mean if we do use the AX15 till something breaks that we will need a new clutch to bolt up to the v8 flywheel?

My son has done a lot of work to the truck already.

Here is the before picture:

Attached Thumbnails 3.9 to 5.2 swap-img_0644.jpg  
Old 11-01-2016, 12:27 PM
AppleCountyHemi
Rookie

Originally Posted by Toby Warford
Your local dealer should still be able to flash it. Or look for people on craiglist who offer tuning services. And then there's online services that you mail it out. Names are slipping me at the moment, Howell is one of them I think. I know for a 2000 gm 4.3 computer they charge $200 to flash it.

Alla the do is go into the files and delete anything that has to do with the auto transmission. But on a 00 gm computer, the computer controls the engine and transmission. Where as dodge doesn't (I'm pretty sure)

If it were me, I'd go to car-part.com and do a search and see what a used one would cost from a junkyard. Shipping wouldn't be much on something like that.
Toby, thanks for the car-part.com link. Looks like there are some available and pretty close to us too. This looks like a good option.

Old 11-01-2016, 12:28 PM
AppleCountyHemi
Rookie

Originally Posted by RalphP
That's year/transmission specific.

Through 1995, on Dakotas, all the ECU controlled was the lockup torque converter and (for the 4 speed autos) the overdrive.

Starting in 1996 (the year for the OP), the hydraulic valve body was replaced by a solenoid-operated valve body, which IS controlled by the ECU.

(This is also noted by the transmission name - a 42RH/44RH/46RH is hydraulic; the 42RE/44RE/46RE are all electronically controlled.)

Also, on the manual ECU, it will activate the "UPSHIFT" light on the dash when appropriate. The automatic doesn't do anything intentional with it that I've found.

RwP
Thanks for the info RalphP. I think we will try to find a V8 manual computer.

Old 11-01-2016, 01:30 PM
ragged89
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AppleCountyHemi
Forgot to mention I have a Magnum 5.2 flywheel if you have trouble finding one.

Old 11-01-2016, 11:40 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by AppleCountyHemi
If not, try to contact Flyin' Ryan Performance (and yes, there's others!) ... I think he may have a tune available for 1996 and up Daks to turn the auto trans stuff off.

RwP