1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Need help. I am an idiot. switched jumper cables

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 12:28 PM
Stygr
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help. I am an idiot. switched jumper cables

1995 Dodge Dakota 5.2 2wd 220k+ miles Automatic

First off, I didn't start this post to hear how stupid I am, and how I should've done it right the first time. I am looking for diagnostic HELP. I have successfully swapped cylinder heads and many other garage projects, so while I do have moments of stupidity, I can turn a wrench and use an ammeter/ohmeter.

So I went to jump the truck in the dark and cold of early morning and made the mistake of putting the jumper cables on wrong. I dont know what the **** I was thinking. Now I got nothing.

I think the battery is toast, 10+ year old optima red top, tried charging it, dont think it took, as it said it was at 100% charge after only 2 hours at 6 amp charge rate. No biggie. It needed replacing anyways.

I checked al the fuses in both blocks, and all seem ok.

So what do I do first?

Is there any order of diagnostic process to follow?

Is there a fusible link fr me to check/replace? If so where?

How do I test the pcm?

Last edited by Stygr; 01-23-2017 at 12:40 PM. Reason: added info
Old 01-23-2017, 02:19 PM
onemore94dak
Champion
Received 132 Likes on 124 Posts

I would put a known good battery in it and try to start it before worrying about what else might have been shorted. They build these things with protective circuits and you have checked the fuses. I have no idea what else might be bad but if it did not start with a known good battery I would first focus on the relays and the fuses. I have seen the plug type fuse be bad when they looked good and were not actually broken or blackened.
Good Luck

Old 01-23-2017, 08:22 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

There were fusible links that year, yes. You'll need a manual or just start searching for them. My info has 95 purged from the database or I could be more help.

Old 01-23-2017, 10:08 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Yep, a 1995 Factory Service Manual is the first step. It's downloadable from some of the forums *ahem - check the stickies here!* or available from Ebay or the original printer for Mother Mopar, Bishko.

RwP