1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Gen 1A door handles

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 03:28 PM
robertmee
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gen 1A door handles

Yet another part that changed from 90 to 91...Gen 1 87-96 my a$$

So does anyone know where you can buy the early exterior door handles for a 90. Rock auto doesn't have them. Image searching it looks like maybe the Dosge Dynasty and Chrysler Newyorker used the same handles? A couple of them on ebay but only RH side. And did the original pulls ever come in anything but chrome for any trim level? I'd like black pulls but will paint chrome ones if I have to. I have one broken handle on my 90 vert.

Old 02-08-2017, 04:06 PM
onemore94dak
Champion
Received 134 Likes on 126 Posts

This is what I put on my 94. Ended up looking better but the Passenger side doesn't work as well, It has an extra sort of catch as I lift it. Before I replaced it it was fine just sun bleached. I figure I need to take everything apart again and work out what part is not fitted tight.but I'm not up for that it yet. I was surprised the item came up on New Egg but they are reliable for computer stuff so I took a chance. https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...9SIA1FF1KF8353 Hopefully you can find what you need if these don't look right.

Old 02-08-2017, 04:31 PM
robertmee
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by onemore94dak
This is what I put on my 94. Ended up looking better but the Passenger side doesn't work as well, It has an extra sort of catch as I lift it. Before I replaced it it was fine just sun bleached. I figure I need to take everything apart again and work out what part is not fitted tight.but I'm not up for that it yet. I was surprised the item came up on New Egg but they are reliable for computer stuff so I took a chance. https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...9SIA1FF1KF8353 Hopefully you can find what you need if these don't look right.
I have a set of those but they have the round bezels not the square....I wonder if I could just swap out the parts from a round bezel set to my square set....hmmm

incidentally I found the 89 shelby came with black on black trim and handle with square bezel...but again Noone has them.

Old 02-08-2017, 05:23 PM
onemore94dak
Champion
Received 134 Likes on 126 Posts

If I had to do it again I would just paint them. The paint job on my mirrors has worked out great. I cleaned them with soap and water then with paint thinner and then hung them and painted them with self etching primer a couple coats then a few coats of Krylon color master cover max metal wood plastic more Flat black ending with a clear coat. I still have the old ones and I might just do it. EDIT I did a light sanding between coats of the black. https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...ndow-trim.html

Last edited by onemore94dak; 02-08-2017 at 05:27 PM.
Old 02-08-2017, 06:23 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

Huh... I wonder if I'm gonna run into problems then? I had asked about interchange info on doors for 87-96 on here and was told "all the same" I got a beautiful set of doors from an '87 in my local yard. but someone prior to me got the door handles and the RH latch. so I'm gonna have to hope that the ones from my original '96 doors will swap over.

I did look on a Mopar parts website at different years and though none showed a PN for convertible doors, the PN's shown all said "exc convertible". 87-89 showed the same PNs for doors within those years, then 90-96 showed a different PN, but likewise, all showed the same PN within that group of years.
and my 96 is all power, the 87 was all manual, I will have to swap all the power guts into these doors when I get around to mounting them. I have been thru that before on other Dodges, from my brother's 68 Charger (that he no longer has), to my Dad's 87 B250 van, to 81-93 full size pickups, 75-78 Cordobas, and more/ but this will be my 1st time swapping doors on a Dakota.