1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Tranny getting bad....

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2005, 09:41 PM
projectdakota22
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny getting bad....

Hey, just recently my tranny will not downshift to first gear, when I come to a stop. It starts accelerateing again in second and is really "sluggish". A few times before it has slipped out of gear too. It will go to first if I select first gear but it won't go if I just keep it in drive. I was wondering if anybody had experieced this problem before and what they ended up doing. The truck has 260 000 km's and as far as I know the tranny has never been serviced.. so I have a bad feeling about this. Also I was just roughly wondering what exactly is needed for a switch over to a manual tranny. Thanks for any advice.

Old 11-18-2005, 12:00 AM
92dakotasport
Rookie
Default RE: Tranny getting bad....

My F*** did that to has 162,000 when it did it i serviced the tranny and it was fine till about a year later ....... To do a switch over i know you would need the clutch pedal all the hydrolic lines clutch preasure plate the hydrolic master cylinder fly wheel and you might need to get a cross member out of a manual truck .... i have a 91 dakota with a 4 or 5 speed <never realy looked> that im parting out

Old 11-25-2005, 03:24 AM
360DakotaPwr
Veteran
Default RE: Tranny getting bad....

You might need a new computer or get the one you have reprogrammed, depending on the year especially 92 and up the valve body is somewhat controlled by the computer. If you switched to a manual then the torque management and idle speed motor readouts will probably be out of sync.

Quick Reply: Tranny getting bad....