1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 01:01 PM
demonkota
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is there a way to by pass the relays or would that be a bad idea. it is a oem replacement pump. i looked on some older forms and see where some said something about a wire at the relay box that 3 to 1 wire. i just looked and didnt see anything like that. ok im bout to go get a reader and see what it says at the pump. if it doesnt read what it should what else bout be the problem... i swapped out all the relays. is there any kind of fuse for the pump inside the truck? just really trying to keep from taking this to a shop and pay that fee.

Old 02-18-2017, 05:51 PM
robertmee
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't know what year you have, but on my 90, the wires are:

16 gauge Dark Green/Black striped Z1 is +12VDC to the relay and the ground X2 is 16 gauge Gray.

The ground comes from a splice in the rear harness that also feeds your rear lights and license plate light...so if those lights are working and the splice is in tact, then the ground portion is ok.

The 12VDC comes through the 10 pin grey connector that feeds the rear harness. I would check here first. Looking at the connector its the DG/BLK stripped wire that goes in to the upper left large pin. If you don't have power here then it's either your relay isn't pulled in or the power on the other side of the relay is missing.

The power on the other side of the relay is a 14 gauge Red wire....It comes from a big splice fed by the alternator and battery. There is an inline fuse from the battery, but if this was blown, I don't think the engine would turnover as this is the main ignition feed.

Again, this is all on my 90.

Old 02-18-2017, 06:52 PM
demonkota
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well get this i decided to turn the key on and unplug my pump. i was watching my fuel gauge. ok fuel gauge went down so plugged it back up and fuel gauge came back up. pulled the fuel line off cranked the truck. omg wth it started pumping.... so now truck is running but now when i get on it it starts spitting n spuddering.... now what i got a new distrib pick up to put on it so im hopping this works

Old 02-19-2017, 05:56 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 372 Likes on 343 Posts

Did you check fuel pressure with the motor running?

Have you picked up a factory service manual yet?

Did you replace the fuel filter on the frame rail yet?

RwP