1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Deceleration on acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 04:50 PM
Cindij
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Deceleration on acceleration

I have a 1990 dakota 3.9 litre and while trying to accelerate it decelerates and acts like its running out of gas, I've tried throddling the pedal to get it to go and that doesn't help at all I'm scratching my head on the problem I know there could be a number of things it could be

Old 03-06-2017, 05:13 PM
robertmee
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cindij
I have a 1990 dakota 3.9 litre and while trying to accelerate it decelerates and acts like its running out of gas, I've tried throddling the pedal to get it to go and that doesn't help at all I'm scratching my head on the problem I know there could be a number of things it could be
start with the easy stuff....when was the last time you changed the inline fuel filter? Have you tried cleaning the TPS? Have you checked your fuel pressure? Sounds to me like a fuel delivery issue....starving.

Old 03-06-2017, 06:38 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

I'd DEFINATELY check the fuel filter.

I'd also check that the cat isn't clogged.

Of course, the usual suspects - How long since the last full tuneup (plugs, wires, cap, rotor)? How's the ignition timing on it (the 1990 is a LA block, you can still set timing on it)? How old is the air filter? What kind of shape is the transmission fluid in?

All things that you should check or verify first.

RwP

Old 04-03-2017, 05:52 PM
Cindij

Checked fuel pressure and changed fuel filter nothing seems like an issue still doesn't run like it should and now battery is fully charged but acts like a dead battery. I jump start it with another vehicle and it will start and alternator is charging but if you turn the engine off it won't start without a jump. Did a visual inspection of possibly a bad wire connection or damage but nothing obvious ughh

Old 04-03-2017, 06:42 PM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker
Received 132 Likes on 124 Posts

Read the FAQ page and do the code check it describes using the key. What state is it in when you have this deceleration reaction? Is it driving along normally then gives out when you try to speed up or??? Get the codes, there is a link to the list of what they mean in the same section. They might give some indication what's causing the electrical issue. Could be a fuse, relay or??

Old 04-03-2017, 08:15 PM
RalphP
Champion

On the electrical - check all the battery cable connections. ALL the connections; battery end and other end.

Check the cables themselves; sometimes they'll suffer "green rot" inside.

On the "decelleration on acceleration" - have your exhaust system checked to verify it's not plugged also. Easiest home way is to pull the upstream (or sometimes only!) O2 sensor, start it up, and see how it feels (leave the O2 sensor attached to the wiring; wire tie it up out of the way for this test, and THIS IS JUST A TEST. DO NOT DRIVE IT LIKE THIS!!!)

RwP

Old 04-03-2017, 08:21 PM
smokin1994
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ignition switch?

Old 04-04-2017, 12:50 PM
Cindij

The deceleration can occur anytime it started out when I would try to pick up speed it would act like it was trying to run outa gas but now I can be basicly idle speed as I live off grid and a lot of slow going dirt roads it acts like its trying to run outa gas so there really isn't a specific action that I can pin point which is frustrating. Ive been wrenching on cars since my teens so I'm not totally ignorant on these subjects but there doesn't seem to be an obvious fix (Sigh)

Old 04-04-2017, 01:04 PM
RalphP
Champion

Well, first you need to find out - is it having trouble getting fuel in? Is it having trouble getting air in? Is it having trouble getting exhaust out?

RwP

Old 01-10-2019, 12:17 PM
Cindij

Well the outcome and final fix after peaking and tweaking with no fix I put in a new fuel pump and now it works fine. Thanx for all of your input I greatly appreciate it

Quick Reply: Deceleration on acceleration