1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Hi! New owner of a 94 SLT v6 rwd, have some questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2018, 11:16 AM
Cash68
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Still loving this truck, it's been great! I put a set of Kumho AT51s on it for more traction, and with two sandbags it towed my sled trailer no issue, even in deep snow. I guess I don't need 4wd and I'm keeping this thing.

So about the volt meter not working, I downloaded the service manual and it just says it should move and if not I should replace it. Any other ways to trouble shoot that gauge? I'm going to see if I can make the oil pressure gauge come back to life as well, but the manual has some actual information on that one.

Old 05-20-2018, 11:22 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Pull the gauge, and connect it to some fixed voltages in the 8 to 18V range with clips.

Or just swap the gauge out.

I'd consider adding a digital voltage gauge somewhere else instead in any case.

RwP

Old 05-20-2018, 09:31 PM
ragged89
All Star

That's a nice looking truck, how many miles are on it?

Old 05-21-2018, 08:31 AM
Cash68
Professional

So funny story. This weekend I replace my headlight switch which required dash disassembly. Since I had the wood part off, I pulled the cluster cover clear part and gauge surrounds to remove a dead moth in my cluster. My voltage gauge was always ALL the way to the left. Same w oil temp.

My my gut told me to poke them, just to see if they were stuck. I nudged both needles clockwise maybe 30 degrees a couple times, said eh, **** it, and put everything back together.

Upon reassembly, now both my oil temp and volt meter work again!!!

so, I’m not sure what caused them to stop working, maybe the truck sitting for a number of years? Either way I’ll take the win.