1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Passenger Fender Vacuum Ports

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 06:55 PM
Ourgoo
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passenger Fender Vacuum Ports

Can anyone help me with the function of the 5 ports on the RH fender inner near the firewall. They appear to be vacuum or vent ports. I'm not sure if the hoses on my truck are routed correctly. I have two hoses plugged into them: one is a combo of 3 tubes from the actuators on the valve cover and the other from the 4wd system. The others are plugged. Is this correct? I'm assuming that they are vents to atmosphere? Should anything else be plugged into them?
I have an 89 4WD with 3.9.
Thanks!

Old 04-30-2017, 07:23 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

There should be a vacuum routing diagram on the front radiator support or on the underside of the hood.

For a 1988, it shows three ports that are normally capped for vacuum accessories. That is, no, they're not open to the atmosphere, but are to feed other vacuum accessories (such as vacuum brake controllers, etc. I say "etc." because I don't know what else WOULD be connected to it ... )

RwP

Old 05-01-2017, 08:08 PM
Ourgoo
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I found my schematic on the inner hood. It shows the 3 tubes from the purge, air switch, and egr solenoids connected together to the remote vent assy. These 3 tubes are connected to a single port in the fender. So I'm assuming it is vented as the schematic shows. I have an engine harness from an 88 that terminates the 3 lines at a cap as you described. Anyway, I'm going to assume that the connection is correct and that all others should be plugged.

Appreciate your help Ralph as always.